cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Resolution of ADC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

how can i change the resolution of the analog-digital converter on my NI-USB6211 from 16bit to 12bit ?

This should happen in Matlab. I'm using the Session based interface.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,094 Views)

Why would you want to?  I don't see what you would be gaining by doing that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,087 Views)
To change resolution, you would need to change the DAQ device to one that has 12 bits. Silly question as far as I can see.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,077 Views)

It's because of a Matlab script whitch ran with an older daq pad with a 12 bit resolution.

I have to migrate it to a newer daq pad and had also to rewrite parts of it as i needed a new interface in Matlab (session based interface as legacy based interfaced is no longer supported.

Here is a screenshot of a Voltage measurement. The blue curve is from the new daq pad and looks quite erratic. I think the reason might be the adc.

Maybe you have some ideas

Voltage

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,044 Views)

This doesn't look like an ADC issue.  It looks more like a noise issue.  What are you trying to measure?  What is your sample rate?  Do you have things properly grounded?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,029 Views)

I want to measure the voltage of a window motor.
I tried different sample rates, but they all look similar to the screenshot i posted. There the sample rate is 10k S/s.

I hope the everything is properly grounded

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,026 Views)

Try a smoothing algorithm. You can do it yourself, use a low pass filter, or use Savitsky-Golay smoothing.

If you read the raw binary from the DAQ device, you could manipulate the bits to eliminate the 4 LSB.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mertin

I got the solution:
Changed the ADC range from -10 V - 10 V to -.0,2 V - 0,2 V

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,003 Views)