Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDAQ Chassis and card naming

Hi,

New to this and trying to set up some systems. I have three chassis all configured the same connected to the same network. To make the programming in NXG easier/more generic I was looking to name each system the same (e.g. DAU) and then call each card the same (e.g. Pressure_Card) in each system.

I get an error regarding duplicate names in use. Each unit is/should be addressed by its IP address. I did give each its own Host Name. 

Can anyone point me in a direction or am I just not going to manage this?

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,197 Views)

Hi there,

can you upload a screenshot of the error, so we can better understand the situation?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,153 Views)

Hi

Its a bit of a non-sensical screen shot but it illustrates the problem.  I have three units on the same network that i would lie to be able to access via NXG with the same build file. Therefore i assumed that I could call each card the same as the unit should be addressed by IP? It doesn't like the same name on different units

ssoper_0-1619533567378.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,150 Views)

I am not a cDAQ expert but explaining things from a general DAQ perspective.

Think about it how you would select the DAQ device or channel in the Physical channel control, it is going to be by instrument alias/channel and not by IP I believe. In this case, if all the cDAQ devices have the same instrument alias, how would you be able to differentiate each one?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,144 Views)

And therein lies the crux of the issue. I have to build the install specifically for each chassis unless i can figure out how to use some form of config/ini file that the software can read when being built using a flag set during the build process to identify the DAQ its being built for.

Works a treat when you're building for ONE system on the network. Not so with three 😞

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,142 Views)

If you think about it, it is still good. I work with multi-PXI chassis systems, with as many as 64 instruments in the system, in this case, since each instrument is uniquely named based on its location, it makes it easier to program and maintain, I don't even need to handle anything specific to the location.

In your case, if all three systems are going to always co-exist, you could potentially prefix the instrument names with their IP, so that in the software you can easily handle it. Now, though there are hundreds of systems on the network with the same instrument configuration, the application will only interact with the instruments with the appropriate IP prefix.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,133 Views)

Yep, I see that. My gripe is that the same program runs on each system. When a change is made to the main program it has to be built for each unique system allocating the analog tasks etc. to the specific card and input on a specific chassis.

Still very new to this but experienced in programming so there must be a way to store the chassis/card/slot information in a config file and when the program is built, or even run?, utilize that file along with a location flag to read the correct inputs into the tasks?

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,124 Views)