Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit encoder position reading

I have a quad encoder module cFP-QUAD-510 @5. If I want to read 32 bit position using LSB and MSB, how could I set up hardware channel index at this point?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,237 Views)

I have attached a couple of links that should be helpful.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Using LabVIEW to read a 32 bit encoder

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=C48124D515784846E034080020E74861&p_...

cFP-Quad-510 Operating Instructions

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/323350b.pdf

Regards,

L. Allen

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,226 Views)

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the reply.

I can understand what it says in the link and the vi that you posted. But in MAX, seems like the Position 0-4 are already 32 bit reading I don't have to combine 2 16 bits channels to calculate 32 bits position. And I did a little practice, if I use Position 0 as a tag name, the reading is a number but not an array of 2 elements. So my questin is what the channel index the position 0 should be in this case.

Thanks allen.

Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,219 Views)

Hi Yahoo,

I am not really sure what you are asking here " what the channel index the position 0 should be in this case". Could you please clarify this for me? I looked at the example that Lon posted and it appears to be exactly what you are looking for. The FP Read VI will automatically convert all of the data for you.

Regards,
Hal L.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,201 Views)

Hi Hal,

If I need position 0, Position 1, velocity 0 and velocity 1, should I know which channel index they are or tag name are enough? For my understanding, any tag name should be assosiated with a hardware channel, what hardware channel for position 0? if they are LSB and MSB, that should be channel 0 and channel 4 in FP-QUAD-510 operating instruction. How about if I read Position 0 directly not calculate from LSB and MSB?

THanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,188 Views)

Hi Yahoo,

I believe that you're overthinking this one a little bit. Channel 0 and Channel 4 are in MSB and LSB respectively as you know. The FieldPoint driver and FP Read VI automatically combine this data for you, but this calculation still needs to be performed.

Regards,
Hal L.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,169 Views)