From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non linear continuous crack detection

Hello

I am trying to figure out an effective method for Vision Builder to have an automated system to detect cracks and defects.

We were able to filter out the image to have a consecutive line of pixels.  My question is "How do I make Vision Builder to determine

that the continous pixels are in fact a crack so it can fail the process?"

Here is a picture of what I am working with

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/stickydiljay/crack.jpg[/IMG]

I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,601 Views)

Hey Diljay,

I believe you can do this in multiple ways:

1- Edge Detection

2- Morphological Analysis, fining particles and their sizes

3- Pattern Matching

I hope this helps 

Regards,

A. Zaatari

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,568 Views)

I need to detect the crack in eggs can someone please help me on this 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,137 Views)

As a starting point, I would try using a threshold function to see if you can pick it out sufficiently. You might also explore lighting options to help eliminate shadows, such as using multiple lights at different angles.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,102 Views)

sir i tried edge detection and then i tried to remove the crack alone from the egg shell but i couldnt can you tell me how to do it 

herewith i have attached the edge detected image of egg for your reference

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,086 Views)

Before you get too far on the algorithm I would spend some time on the image acquisition.  You should try to get some lighting to eliminate shadow and glare and select a background that will be quite different from the egg if possible.  Now you can seperate egg from background and mask the egg.  I would probably follow this with a threshold to get the crack candidates and filter out particles that tont have characteristics of a crack like the thickness of the particle is too wide (I have done this using a danielson on the bianry and refiltering by max distances from edge) .    Would have to study many samples to understand the nature of what defines a 'crack'.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,016 Views)