Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client computer losing trends - Lookout 6.0.2 (with updates)

One of my client computers is losing hypertrends after a period of time, and I have found that the only way to get the trends back is to restart the server. The strange thing is that as soon as I shut down the server file, the trends pop up on this client instantaneously. I can see this because I am remotely connected to both computers. I then restart the server and the trends remain for a certain amount of time (it varies) only to disappear again. This problem is only occurring on this one client machine, and the only difference between this client machine and my other client machines is that this client is accessing our network through a wireless LAN. I still retain communications but just lose the trends. It's as if the server is locking this machine out from accessing the database.  

Since this machine is a relatively new computer (Dell SX280 3.40 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 Gb RAM running Windows XP SP2) I do not want to swap it out until I get some feedback from this forum.  

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason
Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,951 Views)
Could you try the "Historical Data Viewer" or MAX to view the remote data on client machine? If you get the same result, I believe it's because of the communication between client and Citadel database on server.  Sometime when you view a large amount of data, or you set a large trend width, the data on hypertrend may disappear, but it will come up again a while later.  But in your case, I think the wireless LAN may be the cause. Do you get any alarm on client machine? Is it a web client or lookout client software?
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,938 Views)
Ryan,

I have to rule the LAN out because this just happened on another of my machines not using the LAN and running the 'free client', which is what I am assuming you are calling the 'web client'. Cannot view on MAX because they are running the web client version. Would you please let me know what is considered a large amount of data, and what trend width is considered large? Can you give me any explanation as to why the second I exit Lookout on the server, the trends reappear on the client machines which are having this problem? I would think the trends would not reappear until I restarted the Lookout process on the server.

I am having to restart my server machine a few times a day to get the trends back. It's one thing for the trends to come up slowly, but it's a whole other thing for them to disappear completely and require a shut down of the server machine to get them back.

Please help!

Thanks!

Jason P.
Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,930 Views)

Ryan,

Another thing I noticed is that when I open my client file on my machine running the server file, the trends on the client file work great just like they did in 5.1. Can you explain why this is? Is a client file running on the same computer as the server file NOT subject to the increased error checking by the database that remote computers are subject to (since this is what you guys are saying is the cause for the poor hypertrend performance)?

Thanks!

Jason P.  

Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,925 Views)
If you close the client process and restart it, will the trend reappear?
If you stop the hypertrend, and start it again, will the trend reappear?
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,916 Views)
Ryan,

No, the trends will not reappear by either method (I tried those before I exited Lookout on the server). The only way I've found is to exit Lookout on the server machine. Also, I lost the trends yesterday on my client machine which is running the development version, and when I went in to MAX to see if I could access the database on my server, there was an exclamation point over the icon for my database which, from the help file, means the database or signal is "out of date"(How can that be????). Once I restarted the server, that problem was gone as well.

Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,912 Views)
okay, this seems a different problem from what we discussed before.
We will look into it.

One thing I want to confirm that you used 5.1, the environment was the same, and you didn't get such problem before. Right?
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,879 Views)

Ryan,

On thursday I decided to do an uninstall/reinstall of 6.0 on my server machine, and since that time I HAVE NOT lost any trends. The only thing I did different was install 6.0 to the 'D:/' folder instead of the 'D:/Program Files/National Instruments/' folder. I'm just glad this problem has disappeared.

Thanks for your quick response.

Jason P.

Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,873 Views)