Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-daq drivers not finding USB device

Hi,

I'm using a USB-9162 with NI-9233 device connected to an Intel MB with 2.6.26 kernel under Debian.

When connecting the device, it is seen by the kernel USB driver (dmesg: New USB device found, idVendor=3923, idProduct=719a). It also shows up in lsdaq.

The nikal driver (v1.9) registers the character device (as seen in /proc/devices). /dev/nipalk is created.

However the device is not initialised by the NI-daq drivers. (dmesg has only "Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0, so no further initialisation). lsdaq finds no devices. The green LED on USB-9162 is not blinking.

nikal and nipalk kernel modules are loading without warning (except for the "init_mm is mark as UNUSED").

Is it correct to assume that the nipalk module is at fault here? Any suggestions on narrowing down on this problem? Is there any use in trying a supported distribution (for example a Suse live CD)? It actually has worked one time on this same platform + same kernel version, could there be a (timing) conflict with another USB device?

niSystemReport in attachment.

Regards,

FrV

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,114 Views)

Hello FrV-

USB-9162 based modules are unique in that they enumerate two or more times when they are first powered up.  First, the enumerate as a "loader" device with PID 0x719A.  Then, a small application is run to download firmware to the USB-9162 based on which module is inserted.  The application is invoked using USB hotplug or udev, depending on whichever package is installed and supported by your distro.

Alternatively, you could run the application manually to see what might be going wrong.  Please post the output of running "/etc/natinst/nidaqmxbase/bin/dmxbUSBfirmware.sh" and "/etc/natinst/nidaqmxbase/bin/niusb9162dlfw" on your system.

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,372 Views)

Hi TomW,

this answers my question!

I added the file nimxdb_9162.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d and the file nimxdb_usb9162 to /etc/udev/agents.d/usb and the USB-9233 gets correctly initialised now.

>lternatively, you could run the application manually to see what might be going wrong.  Please post the output of running >etc/natinst/nidaqmxbase/bin/dmxbUSBfirmware.sh" and "/etc/natinst/nidaqmxbase/bin/niusb9162dlfw" on your system.

This gave an "Abort" when running niusb9162dlfw, but nevertheless made the USB-9233 to be correctly initialised.

Thanks,

FrV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,372 Views)

Hi FrV-

The "Abort" message is expected behavior when running the firmware application from the command line.  I'm glad to hear you're up and running now.

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,372 Views)