From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

build distributions hangs

I have cvi 8.5, 2009 and 2010 and they all do this on my laptop:

Create a new build distribution.

Select the files tab

When I click on MyComputer to browse to the files it does expand to show all the drives but before I get to select one it has completely locked up.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,071 Views)

Could be it's trying to expand / show network drives that aren't there.  Whenever I see a file browse hang up, it's usually because the app is trying to elaborate network drives that either aren't there or slow to resond. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,068 Views)

cymrieg,

Could you get a couple logs of your environment?

First, we can log the Edit Installers dialog. Instructions can be found here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1572D339FB03EAE38625713100803851?OpenDocument

Second, we can log the CVI Environment. Run C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\CVI2010\bin\ConfigureCVILogging.exe and set it to log Environment with all logg message types. Have it send the log info to a file.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,046 Views)

Attached are the 2 log files you requested. The build actually builds ok and I don't see any errors in that one.

For the environment logging one I wasn't sure what you wanted me to do so I did the following:

- Ran cvi 2010 and opened my project

- Selected distributions-> edit my build

- selected the file tab

- expanded my computer and it hung

- this is where the log file just died also.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the previous poster is correct about mapped network drives. I do have 3 network drives mapped. 2 are at work and 1 is at home. I just ran this test at home and my network drive has died (waiting for a new fan for it). At home this always hangs. I did get it to work once or twice at work but for the majority of the times it does hang also at work. Not sure if has anything to do with it. When it hangs I have waited up to 10 mins see to if it would timeout but it doesn't.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,032 Views)

I did not see anything interesting in the logs. Although it is peculiar that the cvi log just cut off like that. That makes me think that it was a crash.

I was able to reproduce a hang using a network drive. I placed a project file in the network folder and built the application, I then opened the Edit Installer dialog and CVI hung on the files tab. After about 2 minutes, it timed out and resumed the dialog.

Are any of your files on a network drive?

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,012 Views)

All the files in my project are on my local C: drive.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,002 Views)

There may be a scenario where the same hang occurs with a local file (maybe if the file is not found?). If you wait about 5 minutes, does CVI recover from the hang and display an error message?

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,997 Views)

D Biel,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. The last few days I have tried to edit the build on my laptop at work the My Computer does expand out (eventually) and I can add files to the build.

At home (same laptop) it definitely hangs and  never recovers or times out.

Not sure what else we can do here. If it works at work then that's all I need. My suspicion is it has something to do with the mapped network drives.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,987 Views)