LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create ActiveX Control in LabWindows/CVI 2010

I have LabWindows/CVI 2010 Full Development System (Debug Only) installed on a stand alone PC with Windows 7 (64bit).  Also I have Matlab (R2011a) (also 64bit) installed on this PC.  I tried to use "Create ActiveX Controller" under ""Tools".  I can locate the "Matlab Application (version 7.12) Type Library" in the ActiveX Controller Wizard. After click "next", I got a message "The Type Library is not intended for use on Win32".  My questions are:

1) Is my LabWindows/CVI 32bit or 64bit?

2) How to create my Matlab ActiveX Control?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,925 Views)

Hi Shiying,

1) LabWindows/CVI is a 32 bit application and as such it is running on the 32 bit emulation layer. I believe that is why you are getting that error message.

2) To create your Matlab Activex control you will need to find the 32 bit version of your library.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Perry S.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,900 Views)

I am using CVI 2010 that can build releases for Windows x64.

Does your answer mean that we cannot build ActiveX interfaces for 64-bit applications ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,862 Views)

Hi JGS,

It means that you cannot use 64 bit libraries in CVI ti create Activex controls since CVI is a 32 bit application. You can however create 64 bit dlls, executables and static libraries. Here is a link to some information:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051T-01/cvi/programmerref/creating32bitappsversus64bitapp...

Regards,

Perry S.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,846 Views)

To clarify, CVI is a 32-bit environment. In later versions of CVI you can build both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. However, the ActiveX Controller Wizard is part of the CVI environment and is thus a 32-bit process. If the type library you are trying to load is contained in a 64-bit binary, then the wizard will not be able to load it. You can however load stand alone type libraries for 64-bit binaries. Typically, most application will provide both a 32-bit and 64-bit version, as is the case with MatLab.

National Instruments
Message 5 of 5
(3,834 Views)