LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing in hebrew

Hi,

I use LV DSC RT 8.2.1

Is there anyone here that can help me in the problems I am having while writing a VI with Hebrew ?

Amitai Abramson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,634 Views)

You can write in Hebrew, but because there is no official support for right-to-left langauges, there are some tricks you need to perform.

What your specific problem?

Message Edited by tst on 03-21-2009 07:20 PM

(3,613 Views)

Hi tst,

Are you from Israel ?

I use LV DSC RT 8.2.1,

I have added the following lines to the LabVIEW.ini file (at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2)

FPFont="Miriam" 14
BDFont="Miriam" 14
systemFont="Miriam" 14
appFont="Miriam" 14
dialogFont="Miriam" 14

I have several problems...

For example, I need to use sometimes number and hebrew letters and signs in a String,

and they all mix together. for example - try to write what I will write in the next message (using Shift + Ctrl)

this is not possible...

an you tell me some tricks?

do you know any documentation of those tricks ?

Amitai Abramson.

Message Edited by Amitai Abramson on 03-21-2009 05:10 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,600 Views)

1.   עברית

I want the '1' to be on the right, and the dot ('.') to be on the left of the number....

Message Edited by Amitai Abramson on 03-21-2009 05:12 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,598 Views)

As far as I know, you can't do that. Non-Hebrew characters behave in a somewhat predictable way - when you place them at the end or a beginning of a string they appear on the other side of it, so you can just type them on the other end. Numbers seem to be unique in that they do what they want at the end or beginning of a string, so you can't use the same trick. You could place another letter before the number, but that looks bad and you can't color it white, because changing the properties of a single character messes up the entire string.

The only thing you can do, really, is create a separate control for the numbers and align the two controls, or use a picture control to display the text.

Another alternative is to use an ActiveX control (like Microsoft's rich text control), but I never used it, so I can't give any feedback on it.

And yes, I am from Israel.

Hi tst,

Thank you for your reply,

I am already using the option of creating a separate controls...

I will check the activeX and let you know,

Nice to know that there are other people in this forum from Israel,

See you.

Amitai Abramson

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,566 Views)

Hi Amitai,

Try using this... http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3403 This VI shows how to use case, event, and sequence structures to reverse the order of characters entered in a string control. You can use this functionality with languages that write text from right to left, such as Arabic, Hebrew, or Urdu. Hope it helps!

Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,538 Views)

I don't know who wrote that VI, but I am far from impressed by it (to put it mildly), for a list of reasons:

1. It uses an Arabic font by default, so anyone writing Hebrew or Urdu gets gibberish. A standard font would have worked equally well, and would have at least some of the Arabic characters (if not all) in the relevant code page.
  2. The code is quite messy, needlessly. 
  3. It's extremely buggy. I realize that this is 6.1, before the filter events were introduced, but it doesn't change the fact that I can easily break it (e.g. by typing quickly, or by holding down a key or by pasting into the control).
  4. It doesn't even do what it supposed to. At least on Windows, typing in Hebrew does display the characters correctly (and this worked the same way in 6.1 as well, if memory serves). The main problem is that when you use non-Hebrew characters (Latin letters, Greek letters, numbers, punctuation marks, etc.) they appear on the wrong side of the string, if they're at the beginning or the end of your string. They can also mess up the string order if they appear in the middle. To resolve this, NI would have to put in a lot of work, as this is not a simple issue as it first seems to be. Microsoft had to perform all kinds of tricks to get to play nicely in Office and even there it's not perfect.

Specifically, it doesn't resolve this issue, because it doesn't matter where the number is. It always appears incorrectly. Personally, I would say that the VI should be removed, but that decision's not for me to make.

Hi tst,

Thank You for the review of the VI,

I am going to the reserves,

but I will probably be free to come to NI Days at Hilton TA (April 1),

I hope to see you there...

Amitai Abramson.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,505 Views)

נראה לי שאני אהיה בחיפה, אבל יהיו אנשים אחרים מהחברה בתל אביב. אמור להיות לנו שולחן תצוגה בלובי

(3,497 Views)