LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the differene between labview 6.1 and 2009

Solved!
Go to solution
someone is selling labview 6.1 unopened i was wondering first if that was legal and if it would be completely obsolete.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,352 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pstew

It's pretty much going to be obsolete.  You'd have to use old drivers and some current hardware will not be supported.  It also doesn't officially work on later OS's (although I have had it work fine on Vista - haven't tried Windows7 yet).

The differencesare too many to name.  I only go back and use it to support very old code. I am now down to only one customer who still has their software in it and I haven't had to do anything for them in a couple of years now.

If you want to play around with it, it might be worth buying if is is $100 or $200 bucks if you're trying to teach yourself or determine whether you want to make the full investment for the current version.  If they're charging anymore than that, it's a ripoff and they're hoping to find someone who absolutely has to have 6.1 and is willing to pay for it.

Message 2 of 12
(3,352 Views)
If you know German you can get the German version of LabVIEW 6.1 for free from here.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,343 Views)

Hi,

sorry smercurio and other, but following that link will only allow to download a Linux or a Mac version of LV6.1. The Windows version is only available on CD/DVD with the magazine.

(Well, I still have that disc somewhere in my cabinet Smiley Wink )

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,316 Views)

GerdW wrote:

Hi,

sorry smercurio and other, but following that link will only allow to download a Linux or a Mac version of LV6.1. The Windows version is only available on CD/DVD with the magazine.

... and NI does no longer provide the serial number to activate LV6.1 for free.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,304 Views)

dan_u wrote:
... and NI does no longer provide the serial number to activate LV6.1 for free.

That reminds of the (happy) days then a Labview serial could be made on the fly 😉 Also I think some Labview books are bundled with a more up to date student edition of Labview. I would take that path. But the good thing with Labview 6.1 is that it is free of any flimflam like Express VIs.  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,293 Views)

GerdW wrote:

Hi,

(Well, I still have that disc somewhere in my cabinet Smiley Wink )

Well, the poster never said which OS they're running...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,268 Views)

This table shows the main differences between the LabVIEW versions from 7.x to 2009.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,213 Views)
i have the student edition and I new the application builder i was wondering for a cheaper alternative then buying it for 1000$ thats why i looked at the 6.1. Do you have any ideas
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,150 Views)

Hi pstew,

cheaper alternatives than to buy from NI?

There's one (serious) alternative: ask your university/high school/ whatever to buy a UniversityLicense (if applicable). That way you can get the full package (the "All Inclusive" package!) at a very reasonable price. I paid 75Euro per year for my share of the license...

Message Edited by GerdW on 02-14-2010 10:29 AM
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,122 Views)