LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happen if we use external clock to which doesn't support hardware timing?

Hi all,

I have a card PCI6023E, which does not support hardware timing. I have an external clock of frequency 5kHz to PFI0. In the MAX, I setup a task for generating pulses sequence of frequency 1kHz to counter 0, ask shown in the following figure

p1.png

In next tab, I set the external clock to PFI0.

p2.png

And then I run it, I saw in the scope that it will generate a pulse train of 50Hz. I just wonder why it doesn't show error because PCI6023E won't support external clock. Also, why it generate 50Hz pulse train (even I change the external clock to other frequency, it still generate 50Hz pulses).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,290 Views)

My dear fire breathing friend,

I think you will find the E series user manual section of counters useful.  

Here is the short version:  The 6023e does not support hardware timed digital out.  Fortunately for you, you are not doing a digital output task.  You have selected a counter output task.  The counter is outputing exactly what you have told it to output; be high for 10m, be low for 10m.  So long as the provided clock source is not slower than the output you are asking for, the task should provide the same signal regardless of the frequency of the input clock.  

No error has been thrown because the card is capable of this kind of output.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,178 Views)