LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tab control default in LabVIEW 2009 doesn't work

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a tab control in my LabVIEW program. I set the default of the tab control to page three. In older versions of LabVIEW, when the program opens, it opens with page three showing. Prefect! But now in LabVIEW 2009, it opens to page 1 showing. I've tried setting the default over and over, but it just won't open with page three showing. It looks like this is broken in LabVIEW 2009. (I know that I can get around this, but it looks sloppy when the program opens on page one and jerks over to page three. And changing page order would break the code. I'd rather not do that.)

Message 1 of 13
(4,885 Views)

I don't have LabVIEW 2009. That said, have you tried setting the current tab to 3, then using "Make current values default" then save? The tab is a control like all others, so I would think this would work...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,864 Views)
I just tried setting the default tab to 3 and saving it. When I opened the VI again, it changed back to tab 1. Looks like a bug to me.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,862 Views)

Hi Dominick_8.5,

This issue has been reported to R&D (# 182844) for further investigation.  For now, the best workaround I could find is to set the default tab at run-time using the "Pages" Reference.  Thanks for the feedback! 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,818 Views)

Smootastic wrote:

For now, the best workaround I could find is to set the default tab at run-time using the "Pages" Reference.

Actually, using a local variable and writing a value to the tab control is a lot simpler, but based on the original post, I assume that's what Dominick is already doing as a workaround.

Solution
Accepted by Dominick_8.5

To make the workaround smoother, you could uncheck the show front panel when called property of the vi and show it programatically after you switched to page 3.

Felix 

Message 6 of 13
(4,789 Views)

actually using Local variable to set the value of the tab control had some problem.....It may not work all the times....

I had problem with this in LabVIEW 8.5...........it worked properly when i used Property node "value" instead local vriable....

when i used Local variable, it does not set to the required page some times, but when i used property node, it worked fine all the times.....

Anil Punnam
CLD
LV 2012, TestStand 4.2..........
Message 7 of 13
(4,748 Views)

Anil Reddy wrote:

actually using Local variable to set the value of the tab control had some problem.....It may not work all the times....

I remember this problem from LV 7.0. I didn't realize it still existed in later versions. If memory serves, the page itself did change, but the tabs still had the appearance of having the previous page selected. I worked around it using the same trick you used (Value property instead of local).

(4,745 Views)

@tst wrote:

Anil Reddy wrote:

I remember this problem from LV 7.0. I didn't realize it still existed in later versions. If memory serves, the page itself did change, but the tabs still had the appearance of having the previous page selected. I worked around it using the same trick you used (Value property instead of local).

I can confirm that this still happens in 8.6 - it's just bitten me on the bum in the middle of commissioning on-site :manmad:

Senior Software Development Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
https://theLonelyAnt.com

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,299 Views)

It had bitten my boss when he was giving demo of the application (The one I programmed) in a Trade Show...

Anil Punnam
CLD
LV 2012, TestStand 4.2..........
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,293 Views)