LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote front panel SSH support?

Does the LabVIEW HTTP server which delivers remote front panel "content" have the option of running in SSH mode? If not, what are my alternatives for securing connections to remote front panel servers?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,011 Views)
I am not aware of any options for SSH in LabVIEW. However, there are other ways to keep you remote panels secure. To prevent a user from gaining control of a VI, click the lower left corner of the front panel and select Lock Control from the shortcut menu. This option prevents a viewer from requesting control of the VI on the Web until you unlock it. Similarly, you can regain control of a VI from any Web client.

To configure more Web Server security options, select Tools»Options, select Web Server: Configuration from the top pull-down menu, and enter the Root Directory. After you enter a root directory, Web clients have access only to files in that directory and its subdirectories. All other files on your computer are not accessible on the Web. Select Web Server
: Browser Access to grant or deny viewing and/or controlling access to different IP addresses, so only known clients can view or run your application. Select Web Server: Visible VIs for control over which VIs in your Web Server directory are visible to a client, and to limit the time that a client can maintain control of a VI. Refer to the LabVIEW Help, which you can access by selecting Help»VI, Function, & How-To Help, for more information about configuring the Web Server.

Alternatively, you can program security into the VI itself. For example, you can require a user to log in when the VI first runs, and disable all other aspects of the VI until you verify the login. To do so, place a login field on one page of a tab control, the other controls on subsequent pages, and enable the other pages after the user successfully logs in.
J.R. Allen
Message 2 of 3
(3,010 Views)
This was as I suspected. We'll probably implement a VPN between the client sites and the server as we don't think unencypted application level security is sufficient.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,010 Views)