Did you mean: 

"Breakeven point" for using AMC messages vs. FGVs to send/receive data

@abvenk wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@abvenk wrote:

What's AE?

Action Engine

So just another name for FGV.

We are getting into semantics that I have been fighting for YEARS.  I put the FGV as an AE that just has the Get and Set actions, making it functionally a global variable.  And if that is what you are doing, you are better off with an actual global variable. 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 21 of 22
(326 Views)

Yeah, a lot of it is just semantics.  While my own internal thinking on the subject draws a bit fuzzier line than what crossrulz describes, I think his hardline definition is the most sensible and defensible one to try to adopt (or "enforce") community-wide.  It is utterly clear and that alone is a huge first step toward a shared understanding.

2 related things to add.  One is that there *can* be some debug usefulness to a pure FGV that only supports get and set operations.  A conditional breakpoint within the set case can help reveal which *caller* of the FGV has set the bad value that breaks the code.  You can't do that with a native global.

The other is that when the global data is a cluster, wrapping up access in a function call provides a mechanism to make "set" actions on individual cluster elements atomic.  See this current, ongoing thread for more info.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 22 of 22
(318 Views)