From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parse export strings

Hi,

LabVIEW has a feature to export strings from the front panel to file.

You go to Tools->Advanced->Export Strings...

Is there any library out there that parses the output of that file?

It's not XML so XML parsers refuse to do it. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a library availible in LabVIEW to parse this file?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,148 Views)

This should be what you are looking for:

import.png

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,106 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your post.But this doesn't adress my problem.

There are two functionls export and import.

I need something that parses the file.

I want to do the following:

1) Export the file fromt he VI

2) Parse it externally and replace one language strings with another set of strings.

3) Use the Import you've hightlighted to import back.

I was asking if there is some API I could use to do the steps from point 2.

Regards,

Maciej

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,103 Views)

@Mac671 wrote:

2) Parse it externally and replace one language strings with another set of strings.

Just a couple of ideas:

a) you could change the strings internally in Labview, even programmaticaly, and than save the different copies of the files

b) You could use place-holder strings and search and replace for them in your external parser

Regards,

Marco

Message 4 of 11
(4,082 Views)

Hi Maciej,

As you say, the resulting file from the export strings is not quite in correct xml format. This is something which is being addressed in R&D, with the intention of producing a well formatted xml file, but is not implemented as yet.

I have found some 3rd party VIs which are used for translation, you can use the functions to parse the file, then edit the allowed information and put it back into a file which can be used for importing. There is a readme which explains the use of the top level VIs in the library, so I won't explain it here, but leave you to explore for yourself.

Hope this goes some way towards helping you fulfil your requirements.

Ian S
Applications Engineer CLA
National Instruments UK&Ireland
Message 5 of 11
(4,065 Views)

Hi,

I have also found an example of a translator here http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2906 which parses to an array of data and allows you to translate each element. It may be easier to use.

Ian S
Message 6 of 11
(4,058 Views)

Marko and Ian,

Thank you both very much for your suggestions.

@Ian I'll have to spend some time to look though the examples you've sent me and I think this might work for me.

UniCode character sets I'm a bit worried when coding in LV, that is why I ideally would prefer to parse the file externally to labview ( i.e. using a Xerces parser ).

And this work will be for Multi-Language translation purposes so I'll have to deal with many unicode tables.

The other idea I was given by a collegue was:

1) Write a small program that would "fix" the export file and make it a proper XML file.

2) Use an external XML parser ( like Xerces ) to do my find and replace stuff.

3) Reverse the procedure done in point one and make so that LabVIEW can read it back again.

I will analise the options you've sent and I appreciate your reply and help.

I'll post again once I've had some time to play arround with the examples.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,047 Views)

Hi Maciej,

I also thought of finding some way to 'fix' the XML, as you say it would be useful to use an external XML parser, but I couldn't find any existing tools. To make a general one will take some effort! Below is a list of some known issues with the current format compared to XML, it may help you in case you want to make such a tool.

• Missing root element
    XML dictates exactly one root element per XML file. However during our VI strings export, we create multiple root elements per file. Solutions:
    1. Wrap the individual VI entries into an additional root element
    2. Use one individual XML file per exported VI 
  • Missing quotes around attribute values
    Our VI string export violates the rule that attribute values must be quoted e.g. 
    <CONTROL ID=85 type="VI Refnum" name="StationVIPrototype"> correct would be: 
    <CONTROL ID="85" type="VI Refnum" name="StationVIPrototype">
  • Elements that are not properly closed
    Some of our elements such as <NO_TITLE><CRLF><LF>, etc. are not closed, violating the requirement that all tags must be properly closed. This could easily be fixed by adding the missing forward slash at the end of the tag: <NO_TITLE/>
  • Special case: FONT elements
    FONT elements are used as switches to toggle font properties. E.g. to turn a substring of a text bold, LabVIEW uses two tags, one to switch the bold property on and another one to revert the change. Example: This text is normal, <FONT style='B'>this text is bold<FONT predef=APPFONT> and this text is normal again.
    We can fix this by emitting the proper closing tag where the reverting extra tag used to be:
    This text is normal, <FONT style='B'>this text is bold</FONT> and this text is normal again.
  • Elements with double angle brackets
    Single angle brackets are "escaped" to double angle brackets. E.g. if a VI description text reads x < y it will be converted to x << y. Similarly, our export creates double angle brackets when it encounters <B> or <I> elements.
  • Unescaped entities cause XML parsers to fail, e.g. when it reads X & Y rather than X &amp; Y  -- other examples: less than, greater than, quotes (single, double)

All the best,

Ian S
Message 8 of 11
(4,026 Views)

Hi Ian thanks a lot for that!!! Kudos!

I'm stretched real thin this week and this information really helps me out! 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,023 Views)

Hi,

I've been working on an app to:

1) Export all string files for a target vis heirarchy

2) Read the files and extract all strings. My rule has been that anything outside a tag, i.e., between ">" and "<" could be a string (also rejecting empty or whitespace characters), Is this assumption valid or is there a better way? 

3) The problem I've run across is a Multicolum List box which contains  "<CELL_FONTS>[-2 -2]<FONT..." so the [-2 -2] is outside the tag and gets translated. 

I'm open to other translation ideas but I have looked at the third party ones (LTK and S.E.A, I think) and the cost doesn't justify the time saving for me.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,693 Views)