LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

niDMM Initialize.vi hangs

We are calling niDMM Initialize.vi to initialise an NI PXI 4070 device.

9 out of 10 times this works fine, but every so often we go to initialise the DMM and the vi hangs indefinitely, or more to the point the call library function node within the .vi hangs indefinitely.

We have tried different PC's and PXI racks, and different cards and each time this problem has occured at some point.

Hoping someone out there might have an idea what is happenning and what we can do to fix it.

Many thanks in advance for any responses,
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,825 Views)
Just a bit of extra information - this only happens when called using the run time engine - doesn't happen in a development environment.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,822 Views)

Hi David,

we've discussed this on the phone, but here it is for the rest of the forum incase they need to troubleshoot something similar :

Have you tried not auto-run but give it a minute, then run the .exe by hand to see if it's not getting a chance to resolve it's resources names / refs before it's being asked to run.

If that's stable as often as you can reasonably check, then try inserting a delay at the start of the .exe (splash screen or similar) which should be a simple matter since you said your operator interface (.exe) runs up and auto-runs the test sequence.

Also can you try making a new LabVIEW executable that covers the dmm on it's own (initialise and read then close) to see if that's a cause without TS (run as on boot, and by hand)

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 6
(2,810 Views)
Hi Sacha, Gave you a call yesterday but you weren't around, and was going to call you in a bit but this is probably an easier form of communication.

I've placed a 10 second delay in the code and that is now running on the system - unfortunately due to lack of systems due to EMC testing etc I haven't had a chance to sit there and find out for sure if this has cured the problem or not. So far the DMM initialise hasn't hung but we haven't done that many power cycles - hopefully we'll have a better idea when we've been running the change for a couple of weeks to see if it has worked, or with any luck I'll get a few hours to mind numbingly switch the system on and off, and on and off, and on and off Smiley Sad

Thanks for your help, and I'll get back to you when I have some more info.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,807 Views)

Hiya,

I was wondering if you had any more news on this, or did the delay fix the issue?

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 6
(2,781 Views)
Hi Sacha, As of yet we haven't had any reoccurrence of the DMM hanging - we never got around to doing repetitive power cycle tests but it's probably been switched on and off at least 5 times a day since we added in the delay which is over 2 weeks ago now with no failures, so we're fairly sure it's been fixed.

Many thanks for your help on this.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,773 Views)