LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file transfer using internet tool kit

HI 

i just need to do simple file transfer between 02 pcs connected over a network ....... i am using the internet toolkit .... i have seen the shipped example FTP browser.vi but i am not quite sure how to work with it .

consider that i have only to pc's one with ip add 192.168.0.1 and other with 192.167.0.2.... and i want to transfer a file form one to another or vice-versa.....

Also i came across that to use ftp vi's i should have guideftp(ftp server) installed on my pc (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3534). what the purpose of using this server??

and how can i achieve the simple task of sending a file from one pc to the other using labview?

regards  

Regards
Message 1 of 13
(4,345 Views)
The easiest way would be to share the folder on one PC and have the other PC save the file by using its network name  (//OtherPC/c/sharedfolder ) just as if it was trying to save to its own harddrive.
Message 2 of 13
(4,340 Views)

thankyou for our help ..... but what if i have more then 02 pcs ...if i want to expand the network to 03 or more pcs ... would your suggestion still work for it 

also can you explain me about remote path ? whats is the use of remote path in internet toolkit  put file.vi ?

regards

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,331 Views)

Also if someone can explain me how to use the guideftp (ftp server ) with the internet toolkit ?

thanks 

Regards
Message 4 of 13
(4,330 Views)

Have you ever done folder sharing on networked Windows PC's?  You share a folder on each PC and give some users or any user access rights to read or write to that folder.  If you have more than 2 PC's, the you create a shared on each PC with sufficient rights for any other PC to access it.

It has nothing to do with the internet toolkit.  The remote path is what you use to access that folder.  It will show up in Windows Explorer when you go browse to the shared folder through network neighborhood.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,312 Views)

Have a look at the datasocket tools. They support e.g ftp directly.

(more info

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,309 Views)

nolsqn wrote:

Also if someone can explain me how to use the guideftp (ftp server ) with the internet toolkit ?

thanks 

The FTP VIs in the internet toolkit implement a FTP client. The FTP protocol is a client/server protocol. In order to use the FTP VIs there needs to be a FTP server for it to connect to. That is the purpose that the guideftp tool you mention is providing.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,293 Views)

thanks MARK 

Now i have configuration as follows

my one pc is running labview , the put file.vi  and the other is having the guideftp server ..  i set the configuration for the putfile.vi as 

host 192.168.1.2 (ip address for the other pc ) , remote path \\192.168.1.2\newfolder (the path of the folder that i have shared)

user name and password i have set in the guideftp as user 123, password 123 .... but when i run the vi it says  " not logged in "

also with the same configuration when i run the shipped example ftp browser.vi it gives me the error 500 "type": command not understood

Regards
Message 8 of 13
(4,269 Views)

hi ravens 

i tried your method but it give me a big error saying.....something about open vi reference and something about not having the peer permission ... i will post its pic asap 

regards  

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,266 Views)
Are you able to FTP to the computer running the FTP server fro a command line. Start up a command promprt (cmd) and simply type "ftp". Try to establish a connectin this way. It will verify that the FTP server is working properly. If that works but your code doesn't post your code so we can take a look at it. If the command line doesn't work you will need to get that working first.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,251 Views)