LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electric motor

Hi Guys,

I am trying to control the direction of an electric motor from Labview, the motor's direction varies from 0V-10V. I am using NI myDaQ, can anyone please help me out with some sort of VI to do this. I really need your feedback on this, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,247 Views)

Well, you can't connect LabVIEW to a motor.  You need a DAQ card to output the 0-10V to connect to the motor.  What DAQ card are you using?

Then you can use LabVIEW to control that DAQ card.  If you are using an NI card, then you can use the DAQmx drivers to control the card.  There are numerous examples installed with LabVIEW that demonstrate how to use DAQmx.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,207 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

What DAQ card are you using?

He's using a myDAQ.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,186 Views)

Hi Manni,

There are some great resources here http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11213/en/#LabVIEWwithNImyDAQ

Have a look at these, they should provide you with a good starting point for writing your program.

Regards

Ian S
Applications Engineer CLA
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,163 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

I am using NI myDAQ, the electric motor I have is connected to a motor driver

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,141 Views)

Hi IanS,

Thanks a lot for the link, can I use a Daq assistant (analog out) to control the motor or must I use DAQmx ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,136 Views)

If you just need a simple voltage out either will work but you're far better off starting with a DAQmx example and actually learning to code than you are relying on an assistant that hides the underlying functions.  Plus the fact that you can get more help here with DAQmx since the experienced coders avoid the DAQ Assistant, Express VIs and Dynamic DataType.  They're kind of like riding with training wheels or swimming in the baby pool. Smiley Tongue

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,118 Views)

Hi NIquist

I appreciate your reply, this is part of my project. For the first part I built a VI for measuring temperature using a PT100, I also want to control the polarity of an electric motor. This Electric motor will control the position of a damper. SO what I want to do is that when I get my motor rotating either ways, I can control the psoition of the damper depending on what set point I have for my temp measurement.  

1. can one use DAQ assistant to measure temperature and Daqmx in the same program ?

I have also attached my temperature reading VI to this so u can see.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,105 Views)
No, you need one for acquiring and one for writing.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,098 Views)

I don't use the DAQ Assistant so I don't know much about it other than it has limitations and is designed for noobs.  I assume you'll need two since that's two different tasks in DAQmx.  I still suggest you open an appropriate DAQmx example and then modify it to suit your particular needs.  Then, when you need to do more advance applications you'll be ready.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,087 Views)