From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

directory hierarchy tree control class error

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with the VIs HERE. The tree control works until I change features such as the control selection mode, at which point I get a broken wire from the tree reference into NEW Directory to Tree.vi. Context help says it's a class conflict but I have no idea how to resolve it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,953 Views)

I can't look at your code right now, but my suspicion is that when you change the selection mode it has the effect of changing the control's data type -- which would also change the class of the references to control. Hence the broken wires.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,932 Views)

That's true, Mike. It is a datatype problem, and I seem to have resolved half of the problem by deselecting 'Include data type' and adding a new output reference in directory to tree.vi (Include Datatype is not selected). I now have a coercion dot on the dir 2 tree VI icon in the top level VI. There still remains a data type problem with the NEW traverse and add.vi though. Can't find a way to resolve all class conflicts through the two VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,905 Views)

OK I've resolved this, although I don't feel like I've learned much in doing so.

In directory to tree.vi I replaced a few of the refnums with copies of one I knew worked with the new datatype after the change to '0 or more items' in selection mode. I tried selecting and deselecting 'Include datatype' for the refnum and took the one that worked, deselecting worked. The tree control reference gave a coercion dot in the calling VI. Invoke nodes became non-strict as this happened. Not sure why.

In Traverse and Add.vi I did the same, but as it's recursive I had to save the the file and re-assign the type-specifier VI refnum. Invoke nodes became non-strict again.

In each VI I made sure the new Refnum control and indicators were connected on the connector pane.

Now it works.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,894 Views)

The lesson is that if you change the datatype of a control for which you are passing a reference into a subVI, you need to recreate the controls that the reference will be passing through.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,892 Views)

Thanks Mike.

Wish I had the time to learn and practice this stuff...

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,881 Views)
Yes, practice is the key word.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos