From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating an executable file

Hi,
I have crated a vi (with numerous subvi's) and I want to create an executable file.
This is itself really isn't the problem (I Hope!!!!----Smiley Happy I haven't created an executable as of yet as I am new to labview but I am sure there is lots of information on the subject)but I am unsure how to describe what I want to do so that I could look for tutorials on it.
I will try to explain what I need to do and hopefully someone will be able to point me in the correct direction.
I have a program that reads from a file and calculates PC usage efficiency. On the front panel of the main vi all the information is available to the user.
My problem is that I want to be able to display the user efficiency on the task bar on the PC. So maybe set it up in such a way that the executable runs on startup and then displays the info on the task bar and then if the user wishes to view in more detail they can click on the icon and the front panel will be displayed.
I hope I have explained this accuratley. If this is possible to do could someone please forward me links/info reguarding this, I would be really grateful.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,763 Views)
If you really do mean taskbar, not system tray, then you need to change the Title of the front panel window.  Here is a picture of how to do that.  Then just change it as often as you like.

To start on boot, just put a shortcut to the built executable in Start>Programs>Startup folder.  Dont place the executable itself here since it generates an .ini file that will subsequently be opened every time the pc boots.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,748 Views)

Hi Wiwah,

To be able to turn your program into an executable is pretty straight forawrd. there are plenty of instructions in the help menu, but the basic straegy in LabVIEW is to create a project, import the files you have created into the project, and then build it into an executable. This is all explained indepth in the help menu and online in the developer zone. Below is a link you may find helpful.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3303

With regards to the taskbar question, what Jeremy has provided is the core concept of how to manipulate VI properties. I have enclosed a basic VI which outputs a random number percentage to the title bar of the VI. You can implement this basic structure into your VI and hopefully output the statistics you wish to display. This will work fine whether your application is developed into an executable or not.

I am unsure from your query exactly what you wish to display, but if it is an altering numeric percentage, this method should be supplementary. If however you wish to display an altering graphic (such as a graph for example), this will be significantly more difficult. If this is the case, I will have a think and see what I can come up with. Also, if you do wish to minimise your application to the system tray, again, let me know and I will have a think.

Best regards and enjoy!

Rob

NI Applications Engineer UK & Ireland

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

It only takes a click to rate this message 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,719 Views)
Hi Rob,
Thanks very much for the information, sorry I havent gotten back to you sooner. What I want to display on the taskbar is not the percentage but rather a "starred" rating. I have an array of three booleans (which I have modified to look like stars) on the front panel. Ideally I want the VI to run on startup, then to close and just the indicator (array of booleans) to appear on the taskbar. The VI just needs to run once and display the data and I do not need it to update until the next time the PC starts-up. Then if the user wishes to they can run the file and see all the other indicators.
Does this make sense???? Sometimes I don't explain things too well.
Is it possible to display the array of boolean to the taskbar???
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,684 Views)

Hi Wiwah

Unfortunately, it is not possible to append anything to the Title Bar other than a string (or a converted numeric). If you were to try and modify the icon next to the title, you also wouldn't have any luck. Although you can modify the Icon of any VI during the build stage, once it is turned into an executable, it cannot be edited. Therefore, you couldn't update the icon when the VI runs

You can write the code such that it would run on startup and then close. You can select the VI to run on startup as a property in the Build Executable menu. you could then simply write in your code that the VI would close immediately. The front panel title could then be updated, but only with a new string or converted numeric..

I hope this helps, sorry it's not the answer you werer hoping for! 🙂

Best wishes in your continued LabVIEW programming.

Many thanks

Rob

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,658 Views)
Well thanks for your help (and time),
I soppose it was a bit of a long shot.......
And thanks for getting back to me anyway!!!Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,648 Views)
Hi again,
This probably isn't possible either but it's worth a shot!!
Can I save the array to a file as an image?? as a bitmap or an icon??
Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,637 Views)

Wiwah

The only way it might have been possible to save the array as a picture, was by placing it inside a blank picture control. unfortunately though, the array is not saved as part of the actual picture. Any copying and pasting therfore does not  copy the array object, only the picture placeholder. I believe the only way you could get round this is to take a screenshot of the array and then edit and save it in Paint. not sure if that will be any use to you though??

Hope this helps

Longshots are the makings of great programs Smiley Wink

Best wishes

Rob

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,635 Views)