Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

build specifications gone

LV 8.5 on XP Pro

I have a project with the build specifications for an executable.  The problem is that the startup VI's that are designated in the properties keep coming up missing.  The ICON is still in the project, but when I go into the "source files" they do not seem to save.  The problem is intermittent.  I have tried entering the properties, saving and then closing and reopening LV and had no problems but then the next time I go to do a build I receive error "You did not specify any Startup VI's." 

Also the installer properties continually are corrupted and I have to re-create the installer.

Any suggestions?

~gold 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,540 Views)
Hey Gold,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.  I'm not exactly sure if I understand your problem, so I do want to clarify what you have going on.

If I understand you correctly, you have a project with VI, documentation, etc, to create an exe as well as an installer.  All files appear in the project explorer, and there does not appear to be any problems with the files there.  When you go to build an exe, you select your startup VIs, and move them into the Startup VI's section of the build page.  When you go to click build, you get an error that you have not selected any startup VI's.  Is this correct? Are there any details you would like to add to that?

Also, can you please explain what you mean when you say the installer seems to be corrupted?  Can you give any error messages, or a better description of what is going on?

Thanks,

Kevin H
National Instruments
WSN/Wireless DAQ Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,508 Views)
Has LabVIEW ever ended abnormally such that you are asked to recover your autosaved project?  There is a known bug with autosaved projects that could cause this behavior.  This was reported to R&D (4ENAG200) for further investigation.  My recommendation is to not recover autosaved project files with build specifications or other project properties until this bug is fixed.

If you never hit this recovery scenario, then it must be a different issue that I'm not aware of.  I'd suggest working with Kevin to see if you can come up with a set of steps to reproduce this problem.
Message 3 of 13
(4,496 Views)

gold wrote:
LV 8.5 on XP Pro

I have a project with the build specifications for an executable.  The problem is that the startup VI's that are designated in the properties keep coming up missing.  The ICON is still in the project, but when I go into the "source files" they do not seem to save.  The problem is intermittent.  I have tried entering the properties, saving and then closing and reopening LV and had no problems but then the next time I go to do a build I receive error "You did not specify any Startup VI's." 

Also the installer properties continually are corrupted and I have to re-create the installer.

Any suggestions?

~gold 

I am also having a similar problem.  Like gold, the problem seems to be very intermittent.  I am using 8.5 on XP.  I go to build and my startup VI is missing. 
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,488 Views)

Kevin,

The only detail I would add is this...when I do a build everything works fine, but when I return to do a build at a later time all the VI's that I had selected and saved under the Startup VI's section are no longer there.   The startup VI's section is blank.

The installer corruption that I am referring too... When I go to do a build I get the error that LabView can't find <not a path> the details section gives a long  string.  I found the error on a previous forum topic and the solution was to recreate the installer.  I have done this each time with success, however I have had to recreate the installer several times now, which is frustrating. 

Jeff....Yes, I have done a recover before, but I believe I have seen the problem even when I have not recovered.  I will take your advice however and be sure to avoid using recover.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,461 Views)
Hi,
I've seen this as well. I can't tell what causes it, but we're not only losing the startup VI but also the dynamic VIs intermittently. This is quite annoying.

Another issue I see is that sometimes the build is unsuccessful (returns error 1 at one of the dependency VIs). When I try again (without modifying anything, just clicking on build again) it might throw an error at the same VI, different VI or run through the build process smoothly.

Any solution would be helpful.
Thanks, Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,452 Views)

Hi,

Has there been any progress with this subject? This happens to me too.

Every time I close labview and open it I need to add the startup vi's, the dynamic vi's,  the source file settings, and the icon. For some reason it just doesn't save these parameters.

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,014 Views)
The bug of source files getting removed when autosaving a project has been fixed in LabVIEW 8.5.1. Which version of LabVIEW do you have?

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 13
(3,986 Views)

Hi,

I have LV 8.5.

Is there a workaround for this problem in LV 8.5?

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,901 Views)
To be clear, if you experience this problem after a LabVIEW crash or power failure and then choosing to recover the autosaved project, this issue was fixed in 8.5.1.  I would highly recommend upgrading to 8.5.1 if you can, but until then, when recovering files that have been autosaved, de-select any LVPROJ files.

If you are not in an autosave recovery scenario, to my knowledge this issue hasn't been reported or fixed yet.  Please let us know if you can reproduce the situation.  If possible, include any files and steps to reproduce necessary so that we can investigate it further.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,890 Views)