LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

app build too big

Solved!
Go to solution

2010 not usable.  Same program easily sent in email(8-9 meg) now 103meg! When built under 2010.

Not acceptable  - besides having cust download the runtime engine, anyone know of other solutions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,814 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author amazed

I will frequently build multiple installers. ONe would be a complete install which would include the run time engine and another which is only the application. Unfortunately you don't have many options since the RTE is required to run. Either you include it with your install or make the customer install it themselves. To be blunt, this really isn't that big these days. E-mail is a bit tough but you could always put it on an FTP site for access.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,796 Views)

Are you saying the same program is 10x bigger when built with another Lv version?

The thing that comes to mind is if you generate/sample alot of data and "Make values default" it'll store the data with the .vi making them very big.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,791 Views)

Thankyou, sorry-wasn't clear.  Program built in LV7 8.8meg.  Same VI, built in LV2010(no changes) 103 meg.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,781 Views)

Thanx Mark - yours method would appear to be the way to go if i stick with 2010.  Will hang onto version 7 as it meets the needs of most of what i to send out. Was nice and easy, especially since a # of cust limit emails to 10meg. Bummer. 

Mostly just do small programs instrument setups -nothing fancy but ethercat and modbus pushed me to 2010-

Thanx again

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,779 Views)

Even LV 7.1 required that the RTE be installed in order to execute the application. Are you including the RTE in your 2010 build? If not, you may have saved some large data with your application. The only application installers I have built that large included the RTE. The applications themselves were much smaller.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,763 Views)

Now, when you say app are you talking about the actual executable or the installer? If you created an installer, I would definitely double-check your installer settings. The LabVIEW 7.1 Run-Time Engine installer is about 33MB. The LabVIEW 2010 Run-Time Engine installer is about 172MB. You said your app is 8.8MB, so it does not appear that you were including the 7.1 Run-Time Engine, if you're referring to the installer. If you're talking about just the app, it does not seem right that you have such a huge increase in the size of the executable.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,727 Views)

Labview 7.0

Checked again - 8.8meg for complete standalone(installer included) in LV7.0.

Sent program over to Singapore just recent - installed and ran no problem.  Sent several programs out to various locations over years and no issues other than i sometimes need to rename exe's to ex_ (setup , install,) to get thru the firewalls.( btw - these programs are pitifully simple in comparison to what i've seen here)

Did same program in 2010, again, ~ 100meg.  Spoke with NI support(very nice guy but i think he was a bit new at this stuff himself)  He did same and came out with ~150meg with what was described as a "small program" 

I totally agree with you in regard to the increase. Seems wrong.  

Thankyou

j

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,703 Views)