From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Axis Defenition in a chart

I put together a simple VI to show the effects of varying the  frequency of a Sine wave graphically.  But I am not clear on two counts :

1. The X-Axis scale : I want to see the patterns for a 10 second period and then start fresh with a clear plot area. This is what the Scope mode is supposed to do. But it does not happen so - it continuously updates the  X-Axis and only maintains the max-min difference as 10.

2. The while loop delay timing seems to affect the  set frequency of the Sine  function. I thought irrespective of the  update rate, the sine function MUST produce the programmed frequency ??? What am I missing ? ( To see what I mean just  alter the while loop delay and observe the time it takes to complete the plot of 1 Hz )

Thanks for any clarifications on above.

Raghunathan
Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,427 Views)
I think you misunderstanding something basic. You have the basic function generator generate one cycle of a 1Hz pattern. It does not take 1 second to do the generation. If you had real DAQ hardware, it would take this long but you are simulating a waveform in software. It doesn't take any longer to generate a 1Hz pattern than a 1KHz pattern. It's all just software - all that changes is the dt in the waveform data type. Since you are generating a single cycle, then of course the wait is going to affect the update frequency - not the generated frequency. As posted, you have a 100ms wait. You get 10 cycles plotted every second. If you changed the wait to 1 sec, you would see 10 cycles in 10 seconds. The frequency of the simulated waveform hasn't changed though.
Message 2 of 5
(2,419 Views)
>>You have the basic function generator generate one cycle of a 1Hz pattern. It does not take 1 second to do the generation.

Sorry but I still don't follow! What you say could be true if I am talking of a "Sine Pattern" . Maybe someone wants to know how a sine wave looks and then it does not matter how fast I generate it. But when I say a Sine of X amplitude at Y frequency, then is it not mandatory for the (software ) function generator to output  the digitized information at  the PRESCRIBED rate oif Y ?

And suppose if I  route this output ( 1 Hz Sine with about 1V amplitude ) from the software function generator to an oscilloscope ( the real one with a CRT )via an analog output channel of a DAQ card, what would I see on the scope ?

I realize that I am missing out something - only not sure what!

Thanks

Raghunathan
Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,404 Views)
You are using a "Sine Pattern" generator. It is not a hardware generation. You cannot "route" this signal to a scope without first "routing" it to a piece of hardware like a DAQ board. If you do something like that, the timing circuit on the DAQ board will output a true 1 Hz sine wave. All you've got is a numerical representation in the computer's memory. Change the dt of the waveform in software, and you've got a numerical representation of a different frequency. If you truly want to simulate the generation of a 1 Hz sine wave, you can generate it one point at a time in a loop.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,392 Views)
Yes I got what you meant. The working of the Function Generator VI is now clear. Thanks.

I have  enclosed a VI that does what I targeted.

Raghunathan
Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,380 Views)