LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing commands to System Exec.vi, can i start the LabVIEW application ?

Hi,

I'm trying to start the LabVIEW application using System Exec.vi in a vi, but its not working. Please help me in this regard.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,452 Views)

Your question doesn't make much sense. You say you're using System Exec in a VI, so you already have LabVIEW running. But you're trying to use it to start LabVIEW. That makes no sense. Please clarify.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,447 Views)

Actually i'm trying to buid an application to create a login and sign in for the external users who want to start the LabVIEW application in my PC using a vi (set as run when opened). In short, a vi replaces the LabVIEW icon in my desktop, so that a external user start the LabVIEW application through the created VI after his login(if he signed in).So i just wanted to know can i open a new getting started window using my vi while the LabVIEW is already running.I tried it in an Ubuntu system, it worked by writing the command in System exe.vi but i didn't got the same while writing in windows.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,432 Views)

I don't know have Ubuntu so I can't comment on that. What I can tell you is that the Getting Started only appears if no VIs are open. Thus, if you are running a VI, that VI is obviously running in the development environment, and hence as far as LabVIEW is concerned, it sees a VI open, and no Getting Started window. If your VI were to close itself, then you should see the Getting Started window. Of course, if you compiled your VI into an application, then all you'd need to do is simply start the LabVIEW process, and then your app can terminate itself.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,415 Views)

Thanks for the reply, But still i didn't get why the same(Getting Started only appears if no VIs are open. Thus, if you are running a VI, that VI is obviously running in the development environment, and hence as far as LabVIEW is concerned, it sees a VI open, and no Getting Started window.) doesn't apply in Ubuntu, and i can start the LabVIEW app many number of times though the VI's are already opened.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,403 Views)

As I said, I don't have LabVIEW on Ubuntu so I can't answer that. Perhaps someone else can answer that. My guess is that it's actually launching a new LabVIEW process. If so, that would explain the difference, since in Windows it doesn't work like that. If LabVIEW is already running, trying to launch the executable again does nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,398 Views)

Does LV for Linux not have the option to login to LabVIEW?  In the LabVIEW Options dialog, under Security, there is an option to have LabVIEW require a login.  It is off by default.  Then you wouldn't need any specialized VI.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,392 Views)