From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write Key (Path)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to develop some VIs that work with Configuration (.ini) files in a Windows environment.  My problem is that writing a Windows file path (in the form C:\Folder\File.dat) results in an entry in the form /C/Folder/File.dat.  Turns out there's an internal routine Specific Path to Common Path that translates Windows file paths into this "forward-slash" version.  I'm starting with a Configuration file whose paths are in "Windows" format, and want to create an output file also in "Windows" (not Common) format.  [Turns out that reading a Key (Path) has a Common Path to Specific Path VI to "reformat" it, but if the format is already Specific, or Windows, path, it will "pass through" unchanged, as it should].

One solution, of course, is to recode the NI VI's myself, but that seems a bit excessive.  Anyone have any suggestions?  [Ooh, I didn't think about OpenG ...]

BS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,962 Views)

Nope, OpenG has a set of Configuration I/O routines that take a variant type, but if the input is a Path, they simply use the NI Write Key (Path) VI, doing the Specific to Common conversion.  Ah, I think I just figured it out -- convert the Path to a String, and then pass it to the routine.  As it's late, and I'm tired, I'll check this tomorrow, and mark it as a "Solution" if I'm right ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,959 Views)

So I lied -- decided not to wait, try the simple fix.  Almost!  If I have a path C:\Folder\File.dat and write it as a Path, I get /C/Folder/File.dat.  If I covert it to a String and write it (as a String), I get C:\\Folder\\File.dat (note the doubled back-slashes).  Clever, but not clever enough ...  Now I'll quit for the night ...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,957 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob_Schor

There is an input to the Write Key (String) VI that is "write raw string?". If you set this to TRUE, it will write the string without the double-backslashes. Similarly, you'd need to wire a TRUE to the "read raw string?" parameter on the Read Key (String) VI.

Message 4 of 5
(2,946 Views)

And (not surprisingly) Darren finds the missing piece!  Thanks, this additional input plus my path-to-string conversion does the (functional) trick of "removing" the Specific to Common conversion of the Path format.

Incidently, I first tried (this morning, when I'm more awake) simply writing my own Write Key (Specific Path) VI in my own Project.  However, Write Key exists "inside" a library in VI.Lib, with Private functions, so I'd either have to put my own (non-NI) function inside VI.Lib (which I'm loathe to do) or duplicate multiple VI.lib functions inside my Project.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,923 Views)