From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need run-time 7.1.1

Solved!
Go to solution

I've never been very good at version control. Building installation files is a pain if LV keeps asking for disc such-and-such from 2 years ago.  So, when I got my 2010 discs, I did what I always do... I uninstall the old LV (100%) and reinstall the new one. Generally this works out fine. I have to build my application exe files again, but that's OK.

However, something is differenent this time.

Everything seemed OK, but when I re-built a small exe, and executed it, the PC wanted to install run-time 7.1.1. After cancelling the request, my program starts up fine. But now, even launching LV starts the request for RT 7.1.1, and I have to cancel.

I tried installing RT 7.1.1 from a download but it aborts because there is a newer RT installed (and there has been for many years).

Here is what I may have done to contribute to the problem, how I don't know:

1) Normally all of the LV software is "lumped" together in the Control Panel Remove Software screen, but I noticed an old runtime (6 something) listed separately, so I killed it.

2) I wanted to get rid of Datafinder (I hate extra icons in my tray!) because I'll never use it, so I uninstalled that software using Control Panel.

And that's it.

Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Johnson
Renco Encoders, Inc
Goleta, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,833 Views)

Certain programs which NI wrote might have parts written in LV 7.1, and thus require the 7.1 RTE. I believe parts of MAX fall under that category.

I'm not sure why it told you can't install if you have a newer version. The versions should not be related to each other at all, as newer versions of the RTE can't run executables built in older versions. If it does that, you might need to uninstall the newer version, then install the older one.

Your case actually reminds me of an issue I had in the past where opening certain web sites in Internet Explorer would pop up a window requesting an installation of the 7.1 RTE.

Anyway, to work around the multiple versions issues, you might consider using a virtual machine. They have some overhead and complications, but they're very good at that part at least, especially with drivers.

(3,819 Views)

I now know how I had problems but not why, and LV phone support didn't have any clue either.

Using windows cotrol panel I uninstaled the (separately listed) software NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 6.1. I was under the impression I wouldn't need older versions if I compile using newer versions.  However, therefter, just opening LV or trying to run a compiled executable, they kept asking for runtime RT 7.1.1.

Of course, that makes no sense.

When I tried to install 7.1.1 from a downloaded file LV denied me because " a later version is already installed". So, I installed all of 2010, then installed RT 7.1.1, then reinstalled 2010. It all works now, and the separate listing for NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 6.1 is back in the Add Remove Programs list.

Why is 7.1.1 called 6.1 in the list? Why do I need it at all? It's clear as mud now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Johnson
Renco Encoders, Inc
Goleta, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,769 Views)

The LabVIEW 7.1.1 run-time is not called 6.1. It's just that older versions had a separate line in Add/Remove Programs instead of being listed under the 'generic' National Instruments.

Tst gave you the explanation why you might need older run-times. Certain components such as parts of MAX as mentioned do not get recompiled with every release. If written with an older version, you need the older-version run-time. It's best not to second-guess what is and what is not required. There are just far too many dependencies. Let the installer do it's thing.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,765 Views)

1) LV phone support can't imagine why an older version of RT is required. I realize that this board has lot of answers that phone support does not, but still, two technicians after researching it, nothing.

2) "The LabVIEW 7.1.1 run-time is not called 6.1.",  but what's intersting is that after downloading and installing RT 7.1.1, it shows up in the Windows Remove App list as 6.1.

I think it's clear, but strange. The rule is "Don't uninstall LabVIEW Run-Time 6.1 as for some reason LV requires Runtime 7.1.1"

Also interesting is that no version of RT shows up in MAX ealier than 8.2.1. There is no 6.1 and no 7.1.1, even though I installed 7.1.1 and Windows reports an installation of 6.1.

What happens if someone install LV 2010 right out of the box (never having used any previous version)? Does it need RT 6.1? RT 7.1.1? Other RT's?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Johnson
Renco Encoders, Inc
Goleta, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,757 Views)

Perhaps there is a stale registry entry that is causing the Runtime 7.1.1 to be misidentified as 6.1?

I looked at a PC where I had only ever installed 2009SP1 in evaluation mode.  It only lists runtime 7.1.1.  It wouldn't need any other runtime versions such as 8.2, 8.5 because no component of Max may have been updated to one of those versions.  All the non-updated components were only updated to 7.1.1.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,745 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Pablop

I think the run-times required will depend on what else you install besides LabVIEW. If you don't install any toolkits or any hardware drivers, it's possible/probable that you only need 2010 run-time. I haven't installed a generic LabVIEW since - never. I have run-times for 7.0, 7.1, 8.0.1, 8.2.1, 8.5.1, 2009, 2010 plus CVI, VISA, GPIB, etc., etc. Next to impossible (for me, anyway), what the dependencies are. Don't really worry about it either.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,741 Views)

I'm sure it's just a mtter of way too many variables and toolkits, and my PC has been operating for years on it's operatings sytem install with all kinds of Windows upadates, company updates, etc.

I guess I'm just spoiled with, in general, how well LV software behaves, I wasn't expecting any oddities. Thanks for commenting, one way or another it's all back and happy again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Johnson
Renco Encoders, Inc
Goleta, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,733 Views)