From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why LabVIEW don't cache device drivers?

Hello!

Every time I want to create an installer LabVIEW asks me to put Device Driver CDs. I mean other things will be cached, but no device drivers. Why?

Thank you in advance, Eugen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,658 Views)

I always copy the CDs to a network mount and install from there.

Ton (caching the Drivers would take up to 2 GB for daqmx only)

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 2 of 9
(3,640 Views)
So, if I drive to a customer with my laptop (e.g. to debug my application) I always have not to forget to take driver CDs Smiley Indifferent
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,624 Views)

Make a CD image off the two CDs, and save them to your hard disk. Then you can mount them with a free tool. I like this one best. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html But there are others. Select the CD tool you like best. And check if labview accept the mounted image first.

Almost forgot this link http://forums.lavag.org/Creating-Installer-without-DVDs-LV-86-t11767.html

Message Edited by t06afre on 01-20-2009 09:17 PM

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 4 of 9
(3,611 Views)

Hi Eugen,

there are two workarounds for this issue (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/842DC4802B0A33AD862572E200592DAB?OpenDocument😞

"1. Leave the default paths for any additional installers you want to include. When you build the project installer, you will be prompted to browse to the new location of the additional installer. Select it here, and the installer will be successfully added to the project installer. With this method, you will have to provide the additional installer locations every time you build your project installer.

2. The second option is a bit more work, but if you plan on building several project installers, you will not be prompted to select the location of your additional installers each time. For each additional installer you might want to include (e.g. DAQmx, NI-VISA, etc.), copy the contents of the corresponding driver CD to a folder on your hard drive, then reinstall the drivers from that folder. This will reset the default location of the installer to the folder on your hard drive, and the installer build process will use that location."

For further information you can also take a look at the following KB:

http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/e09ba0e2f31d304f86256a640070058e?O...

Message Edited by AndreasS on 01-21-2009 03:21 AM
Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
Message 5 of 9
(3,571 Views)

Thank you all for answers and suggestions. But for all that I would suggest NI to offer the possibility as option to cache device drivers too. It would be a nice feature in the next version of LabVIEW.

Regards, Eugen

Message 6 of 9
(3,557 Views)

Hi Eugen,

that would be a nice feature. Please submit a product suggestion, the more people the more likely it will be implemented.

Product Suggestion Center

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,546 Views)
Is done, thanks
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,543 Views)
I do not jump on every Labview version . But I like to keep the drivers updated. If I want to build an application and include the latest drivers, I find the process somewhat awkward. Many drivers are also updated during a Labview version life span. So yes we need to cache device drivers, and have the possibility to make updates without to much fuzz.  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,533 Views)