LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I get this component?

Hi gents,

I am having trouble figuring out a block in the image below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is referencing: https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/large-labview-application-development/blog/2015/05/14/what-is-...

Untitled.png

Is the "input error" in the VISA Write a local variable of "error in (no error)" if so why does it appear that way?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,550 Views)

Hello

you can get it by right cliking on the "error in" pin and select creat control from the menu.

kamdy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,537 Views)
It's not a control, it's a constant.
Message 3 of 9
(3,531 Views)

I see, I created a control from that that pin and got the same block.

I created a local variable from my "error in" and fed it into the VISA write error.

I don't see why one would want two error inputs. Is there a reason for doing it this way?

Thanks gents!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,474 Views)

just right click the 'error in' and select "create > Local Variable".

"I think therefore I am"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,467 Views)

Many functions, including the VISA function in your example, have Error In and Error Out terminals, all, by default, in the "No Error" condition.  What you see in your diagram is a "No Error" cluster, identical to the default Error In terminal, wired to the Error In terminal.  It has no real effect on the code -- deleting it would work the same way (as the Error In terminal would simply take on its default value, the same as the removed "No Error" Cluster.

I have sometimes put such an "unnecessary" cluster into a piece of code -- I do it to remind myself that "The Error Line Starts Here", that no Error is present before the following Function starts executing.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,397 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
It's not a control, it's a constant.

As Dennis said, it's a constant, not a control.  Since it's a cluster, however, it can be shown as an icon (LV 2012+ I believe), and somebody had chosen to do so.  Even though it looks a lot like a terminal, a real error control terminal looks like... well, the "error in (no error)" terminal.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,360 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Many functions, including the VISA function in your example, have Error In and Error Out terminals, all, by default, in the "No Error" condition.  What you see in your diagram is a "No Error" cluster, identical to the default Error In terminal, wired to the Error In terminal.  It has no real effect on the code -- deleting it would work the same way (as the Error In terminal would simply take on its default value, the same as the removed "No Error" Cluster.

I have sometimes put such an "unnecessary" cluster into a piece of code -- I do it to remind myself that "The Error Line Starts Here", that no Error is present before the following Function starts executing.

Bob Schor

I did not put an "no error" cluster at the beginning of the chain and I got a point off on the CLD.  I always thought this was unfair until one day I thought about it and realized that if a user-created subVI is the beginning of the chain, someone could've saved a default value that was NOT "no error", and you would be screwed.  So now I put one at the beginning of a chain of subVIs if the leadoff is a user-created subVI.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,352 Views)

Good Point, Billko.  Thanks for justifying my "gut feeling" ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,203 Views)