LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is faster? Dividing x modulo 2^n oder using bitshift x by n?

Solved!
Go to solution

I prefer using the modulo operation over the divide operation when handling integers. Therefore I avoid the memory operation DBL to INT and back.

Now my question is: Does the compiler recognize that

1) only one output of modulo is used (divide or floor)

2) if only one is used

2a) a "x AND (2^n - 1)" operation does for floor

2b) a "x << n" operation for divide

I have to operate around 5MB/s, so it probably makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,860 Views)

my quick unscientific test showed quotient-remainder to be 10 times faster than logical shift, didn't expect that

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,842 Views)

I also made a test and the outcome has been that bitshift is about 3% faster.

Floor vs AND resulted in floor being about 2% faster.

100.000.000 repititions per operation and mean value over all time measurements.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,826 Views)

Just a fair warning: it can be pretty difficult to get accurate and predictive benchmarking results you can trust to within single digits of %.  And it's probably rarely worth the effort.

If your pretty quick test shows you a difference of only 2 or 3% *AND* it was set up at least reasonably well, I wouldn't react to the results.  To me, that's simply a tie considering all the sources of uncertainty.

There are some people around here (ahem, altenbach, and others too...) who are very knowledgeable about such things.  I'll bet if you post your benchmarking code, you'll get insights from some of them.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 4 of 15
(3,815 Views)

Hmmm.....

Since we seem to be going two different directions may I humbly suggest reviewing the presenation offered by Christian Altenbach (AKA speed demon) on benchmarking you can find here?

Bench-marking is straight forward once you are aware of the issues that could affect the benchmarks.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 15
(3,813 Views)

@LabViewTinkerer wrote:

100.000.000 repititions per operation and mean value over all time measurements.

I'm no benchmarker, but isn't the minimum value more telling?  I've understood that anything larger than the minimum was affected by OS shennanigans.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 6 of 15
(3,795 Views)

If you could disable cache, prefetching, hyper-threading and what else then it might be. With these things enabled you might measure the cache access time, or the localization of the generated code rather than a meaningful indication which code is really more performant.

And with LabVIEW and other modern code optimizing compilers you have to be very careful that you really measure the actual operation and not some other artifacts. LabVIEW constant folding for instance might make look certain operations to be instantaneous since the compiler has determined that certain operations on constant data can be optimized away by storing the processed data as constant in the code rather than the original constant and then performing the operation each time on that. That way pretty complicated operations can seem to execute in 0 us.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,778 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

@LabViewTinkerer wrote:

I'm no benchmarker, but isn't the minimum value more telling?  I've understood that anything larger than the minimum was affected by OS shennanigans.

Actually, you are right.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,737 Views)

rolfk wrote:

And with LabVIEW and other modern code optimizing compilers you have to be very careful that you really measure the actual operation and not some other artifacts.

That's one of the main reasons, why I asked, if somebody knows. Not only guesses.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,736 Views)

Hi Tinkerer,

for me a quick test of "U16 mod 256" for an array of 10M random U16 values resulted in

- ~20ms using Q&R

- ~4ms using AND 0x00FF

(For this special case the SplitNumber function needed ~18ms.)

You can make such simple tests on your own too:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 10 of 15
(3,732 Views)