LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think is best way to overlay an XY plot onto Intensity Graph?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have some thoughts but felt it not a bad idea to pose this question to the experts here.  The coordinates of the XY plot may be unrelated to the coordinates of the X and Y axe coordinate ranges of the intensity graph.  Some thoughts:

1) Knowing the X,Y coordinates of the plot, somehow use draw capabilities to duplicate the XY plot - draw capabilities allow anything to be drawn onto graphs with some clever programming.

2) Similar to above but actually do within the picture control by first displaying intensity graph data in picture control (the default container I am using is the intensity graph but for this application, I can switch back and forth).  Mask capabilities of picture control might be used?

Any thoughts are appreciated....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(4,949 Views)
Your question is a bit vague. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If the XY coordinates are completely unrelated, then what would you be drawing and what would be the point?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(4,925 Views)

Below is an example.  In this case, the curves s0 and a0 are overlaid on top of a time-frequency spectrogram.  The increments of the XY plots may not exactly correspond to those for the intensity graph.  So basically what I want to do is really overlay a transparent graphic that only shows the curve(s) on top of intensity graph.

Message Edited by DonRoth on 12-22-2008 08:32 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(4,903 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DonRoth
Ah, I see. You don't really need to do anything special. Just color your XY graph to be transparent using the paintbrush tool, remove the X and Y axis, and simply place it on top of the intensity chart.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 12-22-2008 09:35 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(4,885 Views)

Well that's great!  Much easier than what I had been thinking of doing (I have some extensive experience using the draw functions on graphs).  I figured that there might be a better way which is why I thought to post first.

Much obliged.

Sincerely,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(4,872 Views)

Let's have some creativity : the attached vis show how we can play with the image property of LabVIEW graphs : The intensity image is obtained from a custom intensity graph buried in a subVI and pasted as background image on the XY graph. No time wasted adjusting the overlaid graph sizes at the pixel level.

There is some work left to be able to choose where to paste the intensity image (below or above the grid lines ?) 

Message Edited by chilly charly on 12-22-2008 06:22 PM
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 6 of 25
(4,861 Views)
After some pixel peeping, here is the final version. Enjoy !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(4,829 Views)

Any chance you can save to LV8.5?  Then I can take a whirl.

Originally, I was going to use controls for front panel positioning, scale inversion, data transposition, etc. to allow the user to adjust position of the XY graph but I would like to run your code and see what advantage it has.

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(4,822 Views)

Here you are...

I have added a control to specify where to insert the intensity image.

Message Edité par chilly charly le 12-23-2008 02:48 AM

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(4,808 Views)
Obviously, you can accomplish a similar thing by simply moving and resizing the transparent XY graph. Not as creative, though. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(4,782 Views)