LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it

Hello,

I built a very simple program which transmits a string of characters via the serial port. The sequence is elementary...... 1) The port is configured, 2) The string is sent using the serial write function & 3) The port is closed.

However each time I try to run the program the following error message pops up:

Error -1073807246 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->string_test.vi

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it

I tried each COM port that was available on the list of VISA Resource Name but I still got the same result.

This program had worked on another laptop. The laptop I am currently using does not have a physical RS232 port however it has USB ports which only one of them is used (connected to a mouse). INothing is connected to the other ports.

I have installed all the drivers necessary, both the NI-VISA and the NI-SERIAL.

Can somebody help me out please??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(32,746 Views)

I tried following the steps which the document suggested however there were no results.

Now I tried to troubleshoot the COM ports from my Control Panel >> System >> Hardware Devices environment.

It seems that all the ports are located to RFCOMM Bluetooth. I tried replacing the drivers with the NI-SERIAL drivers but it is not letting me do so.

I am really confused what to do.

Now I have this error message:

Error -1073807360 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->string_test.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0000) Unknown system error (miscellaneous error).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(32,731 Views)

Can somebody assist me on this problem please????

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(32,702 Views)

Hi Nicholas, there's something I don't understand. You say:

The laptop I am currently using does not have a physical RS232 port however it has USB ports which only one of them is used (connected to a mouse).

I guess you are plugging a USB to serial converter into a port. Which COM port did you assign to the converter? Is it the same of the ports you found assigned to Bluetooth?

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(32,696 Views)

The problem is that I was not connecting anything to the USB ports. Now I managed to borrow an FTDI chip (USB u serial converter) which accesses a new port COM3.

I will try to run the program using this resource.

I will let you know about the outcome.

Regards,

Nicholas 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(32,694 Views)
Bluetooth serial ports are unusable unless the BT device is present and enabled. Even then, they require another BT device on the other side. You definitely need a USB to serial device.
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 7 of 11
(32,690 Views)

I've just fixed a similar problem on LV7.1.1 with virtual ports in an USB2RS232-adapter. A connected controllable powersource had blown the circuitry and such interrupted the PC. Afterwards I got this error message at each 2nd or higher call to Com3, the port of that power source. Turned out to be the virtual com port; I moved the USB connector of the USB2RS232-adapter to another USB connector. This created new virtual serial ports, which had to be reconfigured to the old settings, e.g. com3-com6. Afterwards it worked again...

Might help someone with similar problems 😉

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

Message 8 of 11
(32,617 Views)

Please check enable console out is unchecked n NI MAX. If it is ticked it also causes some problem

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,962 Views)

Hi.

[Problem Solved]

I had this exact error and was stuck for several days trying to solve this issue. Turns out the issue is pretty simple. 2 programs is trying to retrieve data with my Arduino UNO which is why Labview error shows "... VISA cannot access it.". LabVIEW cannot communicate with my Arduino UNO because Arduino IDE is retrieving data throught its serial monitor.

Here is my setup:

Temperature and humidity monitoring system and LabView as GUI.

Hardware: DHT-22 (Temperature and Humidity Sensor), Arduino Uno
Software: LabVIEW 2024 Q1 (32-bit),  Arduino IDE 2.3.2.0

Solution: Close the serial monitor of Arduino IDE or, close the Arduino IDE before running your LabVIEW project.

Hopefully someone might find this helpful and avoid the same mistake I made.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(651 Views)