LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

Solved!
Go to solution

Saw the other post on this topic, but my situation appeared a bit different (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-Hex-0xBFFF0011-Insufficient-location-information-or-the/td-p/69...

My device manager tells me that the device is working properly, MAX also tells me that the device is working properly, but I still get this error when I try to open a VISA test panel in MAX or open a VISA session in labview.  When I click validate in MAX under port settings it even tells me that it opened a successful VISA session.  But it will not connect in VISA test panel or in labview.  See screen shots below.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(13,191 Views)

Hi!

Is COM1 a standard serial port (no USB-to-serial or other strange things)?

Can you communicate through COM1 with other software (hyperterminal or others)?

According to Windows Device Manager is there anything wrong with COM1?

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(13,183 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JBDburg

No device manager said all was fine with COM1, see the attached pictures.  I was able to get this to work by uninstalling the device and deleting all the drivers and reinstalling.  Not sure what the issue was but starting the device all over from scratch was able to repair it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(13,175 Views)

Hey Marco,

I'm having a similar problem, and the device I'm using connects via USB-to-serial virtual com port.

I am trying to open the VISA test panel in Measurement and Automation Explorer to read the output of a target board from Texas Instruments (ez430-RF2500). I had early success in extracted the board's output in the VISA test panel. However, now I am getting the following error message:

Error opening resource: 
ASRL3::INSTR

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

The code compiler I am using can locate it, and the device shows up under the Ports section of the Windows Device Manager, so I know that the Flash Emulator is working properly, which leads me to believe that the disconnect happens in MAX. I am using a Windows 8 laptop. Can anyone suggest a possible remedy, or at least a direction to troubleshoot? I've exhausted hours on this Smiley Mad . This is my first project with LabView, so please be explicit with any instructions or terminology. Thanks! Smiley Happy

-Zack

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(12,949 Views)

So I tried connecting again this morning, and it worked...for a while. I was able to successfully use the VISA test panel for about an hour, then the error message started happening again. I should note that this pattern has been typical for me over the past week, with the periods of functionality vary from a single connection attempt to all day. After periods of inactivity (laptop going into sleep mode) the VISA test panel starts working again miraculously (sometimes). The thing that's throwing me off the most is the inconsistency of the problem.

I hope this helps with your diagnosis.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(12,940 Views)

This sounds like problems where computer may be putting the USB ports to sleep in order to conserve power.

See http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-1073807343/m-p/2608587#M782751

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(12,935 Views)

Thanks for the reply RavensFan.

I deselected the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box on all the USB root hubs visible in the device manager (since I don't know which one corresponds to which port), and I am still receiving this same error. I should note that this device I'm using has LEDs on it that are programmed to blink while the code is running. They always come on when I plug into the port, so I know that there is power going to the device.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(12,926 Views)

I also disabled the selective suspend setting in the advanced power management options, no luck

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(12,924 Views)

This error usually occurs when you have not selected the proper COM port to which your device is attached.check the com port in the device manager.

contact me at djac791@gmail.com for freelance projects on LabVIEW and Arduino

Electronics and Instrumentation Engineer
Freelance LabVIEW and Arduino programmer.
For projects contact me ; djac791@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(12,915 Views)

The device is connecting to the same COM port in the device manager as the one selected in Measurement and Automation Explorer. Like I said, the entire set-up would be working fine, then only MAX would change in that it is unable to connect. Everything in the device manager remains the same (COM port, device status, etc.) and the compiler can still connect and upload code to the microprocessor.

Does anyone have a suggestion that explains why periods of prolonged inactivity cause the problem to go away (sometimes)?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(12,906 Views)