From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load shared library. Problems with initiating communication between EPOS4 DC motor and myRIO/LabVIEW.

Hi,

I am a bit new to using myRIO and LabVIEW and currently I'm trying to use VIs from maxon to control an EPOS4 DC motor with LabVIEW. To do this I am using myRIO-1900 where the idea is that myRIO will communicate with the controller to the DC motor via CANopen.

When I try to use a VI called "Example_demo" which comes from maxon's website and is used to rotate the motor to a certain position, I get the following error message.

antje668_0-1655915765857.png

As I understand it and what I have read here on NI, the reason is that my PC uses the Windows operating system while myRIO uses Linux and has a different format of the file EposCMD.dll, as I understood it Linux uses the format .so instead.

From previous posts I have also read that using CAN as communication protocol makes things even more difficult. 

If anyone has experienced the same problem and found a solution and can give me some advices to solve this I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(724 Views)

Another problem I have is when I run VIs that stratoms provides to read/write data to the X-CAN interface is that after I read the instructions and follow them and then run the VI called RT_main I get the attached error message.

To me this is very meaningless as it basically just says: "Something is wrong", therefore I wonder if anyone else has the same experience and if so how the problem was solved?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(660 Views)

Hi Antje,

that error message/code is (most probably) generated inside the Stratom-provided VIs. You need to ask Stratom what that error message exactly means...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(652 Views)

Hi Antje,

@antje668 wrote:

From previous posts I have also read that using CAN as communication protocol makes things even more difficult. 

You just need to learn the basics of that communication protocol - as you need to with any other communication protocol!

Yes, there is quite a lot to learn for CAN, and later on for CANopen too, but as a benefit most motor controllers use the very same protocol: when you mastered the first controller you can "bind them all"...

(I admit it took me a year or two from very start with CAN to handle different CAN devices easily.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(649 Views)