LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two User Interactive Vis at once???

Hi all,

Having recently converted from LV6.0.1 to 7.1.1 gives me a good reason to go through and improve some of the code I have written.

One question I have is I would like to have a Main (shell vi) to run multiple assemblies. Now each assembly is a little different.. In each current test there are different clusters of data that I read into and out of. What I am curious to know is if it is possible to have 2 vis, the main one where all the user control is and then have a secondary one with all the special indicators that would be called for each different assembly.. Basically the indicators are a Boolean or numeric clusters..

I know I could add all these in to the Main (shell) and then use the visible/not visible property and use them as needed but I think the if the 2 vis would work, simultaneously, then it would be a bit better for me..

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff D.

Certified Architect LabVIEW Champion DQMH Framework

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,480 Views)
Jeff,

A VI can be set to Show Front Panel When Called and (optionally) to Close Front Panel When Finished. This setting is found under VI Properties... >> Window Appearance >> Customize.

This would allow you to have different user interfaces for different test setups.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,454 Views)

@johnsold wrote:
Jeff,

A VI can be set to Show Front Panel When Called and (optionally) to Close Front Panel When Finished. This setting is found under VI Properties... >> Window Appearance >> Customize.

This would allow you to have different user interfaces for different test setups.

Lynn

Yep, I got that part.. But if the Sub Vi witht he indicators is called in a while loop it will keep opening and closing..

Is there a way to open it once, leave it open until testing is complete and then closing it?
Jeff D.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,442 Views)
Use a property node from the main VI. I seldom use that approach so I am not sure of the exact procedure. You obtain a reference to the VI and use the property node to open the front panel. Keep a reference to the panel alive and then use the property node to close the panel when you are finished with it.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,435 Views)
Hello,

From the application control palette you can use the Open VI Reference function (you can specify the path to the VI to open it's reference using this function), and then use property nodes and invoke nodes (in the same palette) to control such properties for a subVI. Exploring the invoke node options and properties in the property node should give you what you're looking for!

Repost if you have any troubles, and don't forget to use a close reference at the end of your program, or whenever you're done with that subVI in your application 🙂

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,410 Views)

Thanks for the info. I have not been able to 'Play' around with it again until now. I have something working, now I need to work on sizing the windows to fit next to each other. I have done the sizing and such before, I just need to search for the stuff I have archived on CD. This might work out VERY well if I get time to do it.

Jeff D.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,364 Views)