From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with emojis in a json string

When I try to unflatten an emoji from JSON I'm getting an error. I realize I'm not going to get the emoji out because LV doesn't support unicode yet but I believe the text is valid JSON so I don't think I should be getting a syntax error either.

Error -375003 occurred at Unflatten From JSON in parse emoji.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0xFFFA4725) The JSON string is invalid. JSON strings must be encoded in UTF-8 and must conform to the JSON grammar.
=========================

CLED (2016)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,043 Views)

😁

Emojis are UTF-16. Just ✔the HTML here.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,997 Views)

Have you tried the JSONtext toolkit? That emits a "??" string in place of the emoji, but otherwise parses the JSON text correctly.

@JÞB wrote:

😁

UTF-8 can handle emojis just fine. The HTML of this forum page is encoded as UTF-8.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 3 of 5
(2,969 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

😁

Any Unicode character can be represented in UTF-8, 16, and 32 and there are very simple mathematical translations to do so, although most choose to translate between UTF-8 and UTF-16 by going through UTF-32 in a tradeoff between speed and simplicity.

The emoji in the example is in proper UTF-8 but the current ANSI local doesn’t support it and LaBVIEW tries to convert the UTF-8 JSON string into an ANSI string and that fails. JSONText chooses to replace the “invalid” character with a placeholder (and seems to stumble over the fact that this is a 4 byte UTF-8 codepoint, representing it as two placeholders instead of one).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(2,957 Views)

I did some experimentation. It really seems to be a matter of the 4 byte code point that it's choking on. Here's it choking on a script A. Other code point, it just converts to a question mark which is preferred to throwing an error.

test json2.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,921 Views)