From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Cell value suggestion while editing

Hello friends,

I have a table with many rows and columns. when I want add a new value, I would like show suggestions(something like google) for the cell being edited. For instance,

I have a column with values like,

T1_RawData

T1_SamplingTime

T1_Torque

Say,when I add a new value in the column and for instance, if I type 

T1_R   I should get T1_RawData from the software- because it is in the same column.

Is it possible with property of the table? I would do something, if manged to get cell value while editing but I can read the values only after the Value Change event. So I don't know what to do at this stage.  Any suggestions from the experts?

Merci.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,413 Views)

@sivamit2002 wrote:

Hello friends,

I have a table with many rows and columns. when I want add a new value, I would like show suggestions(something like google) for the cell being edited. For instance,

Any suggestions from the experts?

Merci.

Suggestions:

1) Keep track of that idea until all of the other requirements of your application have been satisfied.

2) Make sure there is no other work needed and then if you still want it and there is time and a budget...

Cover your head, this will not be pretty!

You can not set "update while typing" for a table but you can do it for a string.

You can give a string a transparent background and frame.

You can move a string control on the screen using property nodes.

You can detect if the mouse has entered or left the table using a event structure.

A mouse move event will tell you were on the FP the mouse is located.

You can use a invoke node for the table to translate the mouse position to a cell.

You can set a string control as active.

You can hide/show a string control.

So you JUST* have to develop code that will determine if the user has clicked on a cell, then move a previously hidden string control to over-lap the cell the user clicked and mark the string control as active.

If the string control is set for update while typing, you can watch for updates and then search a list of possible matches. These can be shown in ring that has been positioned properly and if the user clicks on one of them, grab the selected text, put it in the cell where it belongs, hide the string control, and hide the ring.

So make sure the rest of the application is perfect before you dive into that challenge.

After doing so please share the code here  so other can benefit from your work (smiley-wink).

Ben

* Just - In the world of software development, "JUST" is a four letter word.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,384 Views)

Thanks Ben. I understand your idea.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,370 Views)