LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some LV Assistance- Is there any one out there?

Hello everyone! I’m hoping to get some guidance/help here in this forum. I’m self taught in Lab View. Mostly I modify existing VI’s that other departments where I work develop. I have specific requirements I need from these VI’s, but do not need the entire .llb. I’ll go through the code and pull out what I need for the Lab.

I’m finding assistance very difficult for LabView (I’m running  8.2 here at work). It’s frustrating to know exactly what you want to accomplish and not be able to make it happen. I’m having no problems modifying my VI’s to spit out exactly what I need in the format I want. What I am having problems with is packaging up many tests and VI’s to run as one test (running the VI’s one after another instead of manually running each).

I also want to take the test results of each test and save these to a preformatted spreadsheet. The other departments do this perfect. I wish they’d share how they are doing this. No one has given me a good explaination in over three years

Is there anyone out there willing to work with a young engineer? I’m not to the point where I can create the VI’s from scratch. I’m intensely curious about Lab View, just extremely frustrated right now. What I need is a guru to point me in the right direction.

Thanks all for the help in advance. In the mean time, I’ll keep reading and trying J

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,452 Views)

HI Chris,

Provided you are willing to work at it I don't think that a private LV Guru is required.*

The contributors to this forum (for the most part) have been through the challenge of learning LV in isolation. You should feel free to ask question specific to the challenges you are facing and start a new htread for each Q. Now don't think you will be able to post a project spec and expect someone to develop it for you. But if you don't know how to do something, then code up what you can, and include it with your Q. If you are serious and keep it up, you'll be a LV Guru before long.

Ben

* There are many organizations that provide one-on-one tutoring if you have a budget. We offer that type of service which has been come to be called "Dial-a-Ben" in our office. Smiley Very Happy But don't go running to finance for a PO. First give this forum a chance to shows its power. Smiley Wink Its a lot cheeper, and once you get involved, it can be fun.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,435 Views)

Chris23892 wrote:

What I am having problems with is packaging up many tests and VI’s to run as one test (running the VI’s one after another instead of manually running each).

That is what subVI's are for! You can call a VI as a function from another VI. This will make the called VI run as a 'subVI'.

To do this, in your function palette, click 'select VI'. Then browse for the VI you want to call. You can then place this in your block diagram accordingly.

You will have to wire the terminals of the VI if you have not done so yet.

Chris23892 wrote:

I also want to take the test results of each test and save these to a preformatted spreadsheet.

Use the 'Write to Spreadsheet File' function in the File I/O palette.

Message Edited by Cory K on 01-23-2009 11:53 AM
Cory K
Message 3 of 6
(2,431 Views)

I'll through together a sample example. I'd probably get fired or sued if I posted some of the actual code. 

Just a note...I'm working on modifing a project now that has over 700 VI's in the .llb for this particular functional tester. It probably would not be feasiable to work on a real project in the open.

I'll have a specific example up in a new thread hopefully this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the help 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,421 Views)
Is there anyone out there willing to work with a young engineer?

Stick around, ask questions and prepare to be amazed at how many people are willing to work with you!  Just show your work, be specific in your descriptions and questions and continue to demonstrate a willingness to work for the knowledge you seek.

Jim 

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 5 of 6
(2,411 Views)

Hi Chris23892,

I highly recommend visiting this page, How Can I Learn LabVIEW?, whenever you get the chance.  And definitely take advantage of our LabVIEW Community, they're here to help!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,370 Views)