LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Design to continuosly stream data to and from Matlab

Hi,

I have a setup consisting of a Win10 machine with LabView 2018 installed. It is connected via Gigabit Ethernet to a FlexRio-Board NI-7931and a NI-5783 Transceiver module. The FlexiRio-board should synthesize analog data, based on commands which are provided by the Win10 machine. Also, it acquires data and send it to the Win10 machine. For sending and receiving, I plan on using the network streams. Due to continuous averaging on the FPGA machine, the acquisition data rate will be sufficiently low (~2MByte/s). The data rate for the synthesized analog output is typically even lower (~0.2MByte/s).

The data to be synthesized is pre-processed in Matlab. While the data rates are rather low, the total amount of data is pretty large, on the order of 1 to 2 Gigabytes. The processes on the Win10 machine therefore need to stream data over many hours.

Also, the data acquired should be displayed live in Matlab (the raw data will be binned to reduce memory needs).

Also, there should always be the option to immediately interrupt/abort the acquisition/synthesizing process.

I wonder which way is the most elegant to implement this on the Win10 machine.

For the synthesis, the data to be sent could be stored into a suitably binary format and then read and streamed by some LabView code.

For the acquisition, the data could be recorded into some file as well, however it will be hard to display the file "live" in Matlab. Also, the file's size is going to be tremendous. I would prefer some sort of continuous stream between LabView and Matlab for that purpose. One idea is to create a LabView dll that implements a network stream reader. Then, call this dll from Matlab and run it in the background to fill a buffer...

My questions now are:

1. How would you write the interfaces for sending and receiving data from LabView in Matlab?
    (Please, do not suggest doing everything in LabView.)
  2. Is there a "common" file type that can be interfaced from Matlab and from LabView?
    I tested it and noticed that *.mat files cause trouble in LabView when they become large and Matlab cannot write TDMS files...
  3. Do you think that DLL acquisition approach is feasible?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(1,869 Views)