LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating Agilent DMM

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to LabVIEW and I'm developing a DMM software at work. I want to test my software but the problem is I am working from home and I don't have a DMM with me. In my project I've created a superclass named DMM where Agilent 34972A and Simulated DMM are the children. I wanted to be able to test my application using the Simulated DMM and figured I might be able to create one later. I actually have no idea how to make this simulated DMM and was wondering if anyone else knew a way that I could.

I've attached the Main VI of my project, it obviously isn't complete yet but I've learned that posting a VI is a good way to give an understanding of what I am working on. 

Cheers,

Tristan Lee

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(833 Views)

NI-DMM can be simulated at the instrument driver layer and hence no change is required in your application code.

I am not sure if such a thing exists for Agilent 34972A.

You can implement code to return random data in the Simulated DMM class method, you can even make it intelligent to return measurements that correspond to the range or aperture time setting by keeping track of settings set during execution into the class private data.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(831 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can the simulated NI-DMM be found in the examples, if not do you know of any resources where I could learn about its implementation?

Cheers,

Tristan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(828 Views)

@trlee02 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to LabVIEW and I'm developing a DMM software at work. I want to test my software but the problem is I am working from home and I don't have a DMM with me. In my project I've created a superclass named DMM where Agilent 34972A and Simulated DMM are the children. I wanted to be able to test my application using the Simulated DMM and figured I might be able to create one later. I actually have no idea how to make this simulated DMM and was wondering if anyone else knew a way that I could.

I've attached the Main VI of my project, it obviously isn't complete yet but I've learned that posting a VI is a good way to give an understanding of what I am working on. 

Cheers,

Tristan Lee

I have been using the HP/Agilent/Keysight 3497xA series for decades.

There is no "simulator" for these devices.

Also this is not your "run of the mill" DMM either.

These are "data loggers" designed to take multiple measurements at regular intervals.

In general, you configure all your channels for the measurement

Build a "scan list" and send it to the instrument

Then you trigger a scan every time you need a measurement

The instrument (through it's VI) returns a numeric array containing all of the measurements you configured from the lowest channel to the highest.

You can request a single measurement without doing all that but if you are going to be taking multiple measurements like this instrument was designed for that is the wrong way to do it.

I just looked at your VI, looks like you are trying to write your own "Benchlink" like software. Good luck with that, there are just so many possible options not to mention graphing options everyone wants that it quickly becomes a user interface nightmare just like Benchlink...

I have long since abandoned doing that and find it a lot more efficient use of time to write one off programs that collect the data I need for a specific test, and have rolled these into all of our ATE racks where they also control high current DC switching with an actuator card.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(800 Views)