LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Variable Engine - as an OPC Server - U64 datatype issue

I am testing out utilizing the SVE as an OPC Server for some third party visualization software.  Using the SVE for the tags will be very nice, but I am having a bit of an issue with U64 Shared Variables showing up under the National Instruments.Variable Engine.1 Sever when I browse for Tags under the server and inside my Variable Library.

When I reconfigure the Tags as U32 type - they all show up and I can connect with no problem and see the values changing as my simulator code updates the U32 tags via LabVIEW 2016 and using the Shared Variable programmatic API to update the SV/Tags.

QWord (U64) appears to be supported by the NI Quick Client - yet when I browse for the tags they don't show.  I don't really NEED to use U64 for these counters as the process could never physically produce that many counts in a day of processing, but I find this really strange.

Note: I get the same results when I use the DataSocket Select URL.vi and search for OPC items (Option 4) on the Options input.  U64 Shared Variables do not show, U32 variables show up. 

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,797 Views)

Ryan,

Could you attach the project you're seeing this issue in, or a simplified version? I'd like to try and see if I see the same thing on my end.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,711 Views)

Rey - certainly.

Here is a simple example project with Variable Library and a Data Generator Loop to push data to the SV that you can then try and see in an OPC Quick Client.

I have no trouble adding the NI Shared Variable Engine.1 Server in the QC then adding a folder named "Test" then adding items - finding the Variable Library.

Its when I click on the Variable Library in the QC to see the tags available - the U64 items do not show, but the Boolean, DBL, U32 show up.

Make sure to either manually deploy the library or run the VI first before trying to add the variables in the QC so the library is deployed and the variables exist.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,703 Views)

No U64 Tags.png

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,701 Views)

SV Library showing Tags.pngMultipleVariableEditor.png

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,690 Views)

Ryan,

I'm seeing the same thing you are, and can't currently find any documentation saying it's intentional. I'll consult colleagues and let you know once I find more.

Message 6 of 11
(3,669 Views)

Thanks for the feedback, Rey. I didn't think I was doing anything overtly incorrect. 

I guess the work around if needed could be too split the u64 and combine on the other side, but then you have to worry about synchronisation to make sure you have a matching pair...

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,658 Views)

I also tried MatrikonOPC Explorer and was unable to see the U64 tags - so it isn't the Quick Client provided with the NI OPC Servers that is the issue.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,639 Views)

I also tried LV2017 to see if the same behavior was noted, and it was. 

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,623 Views)

Ryan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've filed a bug report on my end and added the new information you just posted, as I don't think this is expected behavior.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,615 Views)