From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salary - How much should I ask for?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of discussing potential salary requirements with a System Integrator on the East Coast of the USA. I have about 7 years of LabVIEW experience (5 years hardcore), and would love to work for this company (the blokes doing the hiring are probably members of this list - so hi guys!) My main problem is that all of my programming experience was based in Sydney, Australia, and I honestly don't know how much it costs to live in the USA. I've checked a few web sites to get some basic cost of living data, but would like to hear from anyone who might be able to give me some advice on the salary range I should shoot for. I certainly don't want to put this company offside by asking for an exho
rbitant fee, but I also don't want to short-change myself and end up living in a dumpster under the interstate.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing from you!

cheers,
Chris

Christopher G. Relf
Christopher.Relf@mBox.com.au
Int'l Voicemail & Fax: +61 2 8080 8132
Aust Voicemail & Fax: (02) 8080 8132
---
EULA
1) This is a private email, and although the views expressed within it may not be purely my own, unless specifically referenced I do not suggest they are necessarily associated with anyone else including, but not limited to, my employer(s).
2) This email has NOT been scanned for virii - attached file(s), if any, are provided as is. By copying, detaching and/or opening attached files, you agree to indemnify the sender of such responsibility.
3) Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,058 Views)
Christopher,

How is the book going?

Salary is a tough thing. It depends on so many factors, that trying to narrow it down is very difficult. A lot of regionality plays into it. For example, here in San Diego, a EE can pull in $65,000 annually with no problem. 80 miles north, in Los Angeles, this is unheard of for the most part, and $45,000 is more in line. Education, experience, ability are all factors.

I would suggest that you have them make an offer, and try to get an offer from another company nearby, or look for salaries in your area. Try asking agencies, recruiters, and others. Once you have decided on accepting a salary, stipulate that you want to be able to renegotiate your salary after 30, 60, or 90 days.

I would also suggest that
the price of a home in the area is a huge factor that you need to look at. For example, in San Diego, the median price is $370,000, whereas in Los Angeles, it is about $250,000 or so.

I hope this is helpful.

Also, you should be able to get a good first offer from the company.

Good luck, and can I have your spot in Australia? I hear its REALLY hard to get in...
Message 2 of 7
(4,058 Views)
"Labviewguru" wrote in message
news:50650000000500000073960000-1027480788000@exchange.ni.com...
> Christopher,
>
> How is the book going?
>
> Salary is a tough thing. It depends on so many factors, that trying
> to narrow it down is very difficult. A lot of regionality plays into
> it. For example, here in San Diego, a EE can pull in $65,000 annually
> with no problem. 80 miles north, in Los Angeles, this is unheard of
> for the most part, and $45,000 is more in line. Education,
> experience, ability are all factors.
>
> I would suggest that you have them make an offer, and try to get an
> offer from another company nearby, or look for salaries in your area.
> Try asking agencies, recruiters, and others. Once you have decided on
> accepting a sal
ary, stipulate that you want to be able to renegotiate
> your salary after 30, 60, or 90 days.
>
> I would also suggest that the price of a home in the area is a huge
> factor that you need to look at. For example, in San Diego, the
> median price is $370,000, whereas in Los Angeles, it is about $250,000
> or so.
>
> I hope this is helpful.
>
> Also, you should be able to get a good first offer from the company.
>
> Good luck, and can I have your spot in Australia? I hear its REALLY
> hard to get in...

Are those starting salaries for new grads?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,058 Views)
crelf;

You can get what seems to be a good estimate at salary.com

Enrique
www.vartortech.com
Message 4 of 7
(4,058 Views)
Thanks for your input everyone - I ended up looking at salary.com (I plugged in the area I wanted to work, and called my self a "Software Engineer III"), and it spat out the appropriate numbers.

Thanks again!
Christopher

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,058 Views)

Hi, Chris,

I am a Certified Developer working in Melbourne, Australia. I have about 3 + years experience. I hear that these NI certifications can significantly boost the salary packages. I recently got my CLAD and CLD. Is it possible for you tell me, what sort of salary package i can expect in Melbourne. I should have really opened a new thread for my question, but i thought you might have better idea as you worked here for a long time. Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 7
(3,717 Views)

Do you realize that this thread is 6 years old?

Yes... it would be a good idea to start your own thread..  🙂

Message 7 of 7
(3,705 Views)