LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOS! Traped in a while loop, need to stop VI right now without quiting LabVIEW

This is embarrassing! I have many VIs open on my desk top and made changes to them. Then for a break I decide to play with two while loops and wanted to see their behavior...that is when I got traped.  (I was trying to see if the inside loop can be stoped when the outside loop is stoped).  Now I cant stop this VI  without terminating LabVIEW.  If I terminate LV, I will loss all the work on my other VIs which didnt got saved. Is there a graceful way to get out of this trap? Please see the attached VI.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(8,114 Views)
The vi abort button (red circle) doesn't work?
Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(8,100 Views)
  • Upgrade to LabVIEW 8.x Smiley Wink
  • ctrl-.
  • ctrl-alt-delete (on win), terminate LabVIEW, LabVIEW might respond, with a pop-up, where you can select cancel to overrule the closing but stop the VIs

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(8,097 Views)
Just tried it while running your vi, hold down the escape button (to close the popup window) and keep clicking the abort button,it'll stop eventually.
Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Message 4 of 20
(8,095 Views)
  1. Move cursor over the Button on the popup.
  2. hold down "ctrl"...
  3. hold down "."...
  4. While 2 and 3....
  5. click mouse button a few times until VI stops. (you might need to try a few times)
Message 5 of 20
(8,083 Views)
tried Altenbach's solution and worked right away for me..
Troy's solution worked within 5 - 10 sec.

These are tricks worth knowing!  Maybe a tiny nugget out of these 😉
Message 6 of 20
(8,055 Views)

This is all too much a common problem, especially with cfaster loops they are hard to break into.  Another common problem is when you leave modal subvis opened then you get stuck when you run.  WHY DOESNT NI HAVE ITS OWN BUILT IN TASK MANAGER.  I wrote one a while back and it saves me all the time.  Essentially you get a list of references to all opened running vi in memory and allow the user to stop eny of them.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 7 of 20
(8,052 Views)

Hi All, thank you so much for offering your tricks and sharing your thoughts. I tried with Troy's method, it worked very quickly. I agree with Paul it will really help if NI can provide us a LabVIEW task manager. For now, your tricks made the biggest difference. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(7,999 Views)

@BryanL wrote:

it will really help if NI can provide us a LabVIEW task manager.

Or you can just write one yourself. Attached is a very quick example. If you build it into an exe and enable TCP access in your VI server, it should connect to LabVIEW. You might need to give the exe a different VI server port than the default.

(7,972 Views)
Here's one I was playing around with.
The only problem is that it won't jump in front of a modal window (message box for example).
So it's useless to stop BryanL's while loop vi (aka LabVIEW version of a chinese finger trap).

Message Edited by Troy K on 06-28-2007 07:37 PM

Message 10 of 20
(7,970 Views)