LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopen avi file

I am doing time laps video.  I create an avi file.  Periodically I write to it.  At the end I close the file.

If the program closes unexpectedly/ungraciously all the video is lost.  Most unhappy.

I got the bright idea to close the file and then re-open the avi file.  Snake-eyes.

Is it possible to append to an avi file? I would have thought so but you never know...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,833 Views)

What method are you using to write to the file in the first place? Are you using NI-Vision by any chance?

If you write out pieces of a movie as separate files you can join them after the fact using something like VirtualDub.

Message 2 of 5
(2,829 Views)

I am using NI Vsion.  I started out with AVI Create->AVI Write->AVI Close.  If the program stopped un-gracefully then the entire file was lost.

Next I went to something like AVI Create->AVI Close-> [AVI Open->AVI Write->AVI Close {Repeat Loop}]

and every permutation I could think of.  AVI Open seems to actually be "AI Open Read-Only"  because writing to a file opened with AVI Open only produced a blank stare from the program. 

If there is a secrete way to get AVI open to open for appending that would be great to know.

If not, I suppose I could save each piece and then combine them with windows movie maker.  That is a fairly mesolithic solution, but at least it would allow us to (somewhat) walk around upright.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,815 Views)
Unfortunately I don't have NI-Vision. I asked the question since I suspected you might be using that. You may want to post this in the Machine Vision forum. Maybe someone there may be of more help.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,801 Views)

Hi anonamouse,

It looks like you already have your answer in the Vision forum but I just wanted to say that this is correct.  You can no directly append to a AVI in LabVIEW. 

Link to other thread

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,785 Views)