From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read data of a text file then display into 3-array graph

I am able to read data from c:\data.rpt & created 3 separate arrays then display them, however I can not find the way to plot them. Can anyone help?

- The first column is for X-axis      (timing is not evently & in second)

- The second column is for Y1      (Temperature C)

- The third column is for Y2           (Humidity %)

Thank for any help,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,903 Views)

here is a solution

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,896 Views)

The VI you provided is actually in 8.5, not 8.2. Also, it has more code than is necessary:

• Instead of using the string variant of the Read From Spreadsheet File, use the "double" version. This eliminates all of the Fract/Exp String to Number functions.
  • Instead of transposing the 2D array and peeling off rows, just peel of columns directly from the 2D array. 
  • Instead of having 3 separate Index Array functions, use 1 and simply resize it. 
  • Converting an array of DBL to an array of DBL using the To Double Precision Float function is redundant and pointless.

Here is a refactored version:

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 01-23-2009 05:33 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,882 Views)

It works perfectly

Many thanks Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,857 Views)

Your suggestion used less modules than mine, but it required the 2d-Transose array after reading files (the way I use to read) ... then it works beautifully

Thanks Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,840 Views)
Why? You said your data was in columns. The Read From Spreadsheet File reads the file and you will get a 2D array with the data in columns. The zip file contained a file called data.rpt. Isn't this your data file? If so, using the exact code I provided will read this file just fine. Why are you transposing it? Are you wiring the constant of 0 to the "row" input of Index Array?  If so that is not correct. You should be wiring to the "column" input.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,830 Views)

I did exactly like you suggested & I had an error occur, I attach my .vi here just want to show you. The .rpt file is the same one in the zip file!

However, if I insert the Transpose 2D Array & in the combined Index array I put 0 for the first column (X),  1 for the second column (Y1),  2 for the third column (Y2) ... then it works very nicely! I know that it sound not as you suggested ... but I did try to probe the output without the Transpose 2D Array, then they show 3 data only 1 row!

Might be you know what I did wrong?

Thank

Message Edited by plit string on 01-26-2009 10:22 AM
Message Edited by plit string on 01-26-2009 10:23 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,784 Views)
As I suspected, you wired the constant to the "row" element of Index Array. Look at my picture carefully. You will see that I am wiring the constant to the "column" element since your data is in columns.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,772 Views)

Oopps, when I used the thead tool pointing to that 2nd input, I saw "disable column" (at that to time, I still connect to the row), that was why I confused & did not use it ... now it works as you suggested!

Many thanks for help & patient pointing out wrong connection Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,770 Views)