LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in a VI changing from 32 to 64 bits

Hi,

He have a custom program to acquire images from a Pulnix 6710CL. It used to work in LabVIEW 2009 (32 bits) installed in a Windows 7 operated computer (32 bits also). Due to computer updates, we are now using Windows 7, 64 bits and have installed LabVIEW 2011 (64 bits also). One of our VIs is not working anymore since then (I attatch it, with the corresponding subVIs), we have performed several tests and seems to be "IMAQ BCGlookup.vi" what is causing the crash, the VI works perfectly without it but crashes (LabVIEW stops running and closes) when we call it. We have performed several basic tests but we are unable to find the reason for the crash. We would appreciate any help or advice.

Julene

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,038 Views)

I'm going to guess that the vast majority of LabVIEW Installations are on Windows 7 (64-bit), running LabVIEW 20xx (32-bit).  While there is a 64-bit version of LabVIEW, most of us do not need the extra address space capability, nor the weird problems associated with 64-bit LabVIEW.  I'm sorry to recommend this, but try removing 64-bit LabVIEW and installing 32-bit -- I'm betting your problem will go away.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,003 Views)
Yes, 64 bit LabVIEW has a history of being a bit flaky. Also many of the toolboxes don't work with it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,996 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
Yes, 64 bit LabVIEW has a history of being a bit flaky. Also many of the toolboxes don't work with it.

Mike...

Except that the IMAQ Vision Toolkit was excplicitedly one of the Toolkits that was fully ported to LabVIEW 64 bit because image analysis applications are the most likely applications that can require a 64 bit application memory space.

However, something apparently seemed to have gone missing in the 64 bit version. Since it is done in an old version of LabVIEW (2009) the most likely recommended remedy would be to upgrade to a newer LabVIEW and IMAQ Vision version. 2009 was the first to support 64 bit in any way and there is a good chance that something has been fixed in the last 6 years.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,986 Views)

Bob_Schor escribió:

I'm going to guess that the vast majority of LabVIEW Installations are on Windows 7 (64-bit), running LabVIEW 20xx (32-bit).  While there is a 64-bit version of LabVIEW, most of us do not need the extra address space capability, nor the weird problems associated with 64-bit LabVIEW.  I'm sorry to recommend this, but try removing 64-bit LabVIEW and installing 32-bit -- I'm betting your problem will go away.

Bob Schor

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately, we have just been testing that option (we have tested LabVIEW 2011-32 bits) but it crashed exactly in the same way. We have even tried installing the same LabVIEW 2009-32 bits we used in our old OS, and it does not work either.

I don't know if this may be a problem related with dlls compiled for 32 bits, we are trying to figure out how the 64 bit OS is affecting the program...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,983 Views)

One thing that could neck you is the image type used. Depending how your interface for the camera is configured for the camera you may end up with a different image type than what you later try to extract (U8 greyscale). What image type does your OverviewInit.vi show?

Also try to explicitedly allocate an image with IMAQ Create before the loop and connect it to the shift register. Use the image type returned from the OverviewInit.vi to determine the type for the IMAQ Create Image Type input.

WAIT! Are you sure you didn't loose a wire connection from the New Image output on OverviewInit.vi to your shift register somewhere along the porting to your new computer?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,978 Views)

rolfk escribió:

One thing that could neck you is the image type used. Depending how your interface for the camera is configured for the camera you may end up with a different image type than what you later try to extract (U8 greyscale). What image type does your OverviewInit.vi show?

Also try to explicitedly allocate an image with IMAQ Create before the loop and connect it to the shift register. Use the image type returned from the OverviewInit.vi to determine the type for the IMAQ Create Image Type input.

WAIT! Are you sure you didn't loose a wire connection from the New Image output on OverviewInit.vi to your shift register somewhere along the porting to your new computer?

Hi Rolf, thank for the note. We are sure the image type is U8 greyscale as it is the  output given by the property node IMAQ in Overviewinit.vi, when the program is running and displaying a image in real-time.

Also in Overviewinit.vi we create an image with IMAQ Create using the image type gyven by the property-node. The output of IMAQ Create: "New Image" is connected to the shift register in "Prueba_solo_camera.vi".

We are sure there are no loose wire connections from the New Image output  to the shift register.

more ideas?

Julene

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,955 Views)

Hi, we just noticed that another vi from the Vision & Motion / Image Processing / Processing palette : IMAQ Equalize also produces a crash of labview, just in case this provide more clues...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,948 Views)

You can't use a 32-bit dll in a 64-bit application.  This applies to anything, not just LabVIEW.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,918 Views)
LabVIEW 32-bit under Win7 64-bit OS should be right to use 32-bit dlls.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,900 Views)