LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Executable and multiple computers

I would like to confirm my understanding on this topic -

Assuming I have one LV executable stored on a network location, and 6 PC's accessing that single EXE file -

Is is correct the each PC loads that exe into it's internal memory, and as such, there is likely not an issue with

X number of PC's accessing the same exe file ?

Someone keeps trying to press the issue that comm errors are a result of 'too much demand' on the network EXE file.

(The comm errors are due to RS232 limitations, in my mind, but I'd like to be sure I'm correct in my understanding).

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,370 Views)

Hi Alan,

The executable is loaded into memory, but it is done so in chunks.  When a specific chunk is needed, it will be loaded into memory to be executed.  However, the read operation that loads this into memory is non-blocking, so multiple operations shouldn't hinder each other.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,324 Views)

@AlanHagen wrote:

Someone keeps trying to press the issue that comm errors are a result of 'too much demand' on the network EXE file.

(The comm errors are due to RS232 limitations, in my mind, but I'd like to be sure I'm correct in my understanding).

Thanks,

The way to prove them wrong is to go ahead and copy that .exe to each of the 6 PC's and have each one run its own local copy and see whether you still have the comm errors.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,314 Views)

Hi,

Thank you both for the replies. 

I certainly had thought about loading the software on the individual machines, however it was set up as I described before I started working 

at my facility and it involves medical devices - which means validation of the most minute change.

As the end of the year approaches, it's unlikely I can slow down production to prove a point.

I wanted to verify my assumptions were correct before I pushed the issue.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,289 Views)