LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obscuring Sub VI's block diagram for proprietary purposes.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm trying to keep people from accessing certain Sub VI's that contain proprietary information in them. The majority of my code I would like to keep open source though. I have the pertinent information already segregated into the appropriate Sub VI's and now I just need to prevent other users from accessing the block diagrams. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.  

Message 1 of 7
(1,065 Views)
Solution
Accepted by B4rry6o0d

Try this: 

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/lvhowto/locking_and_unlocking_vis.html

I'd love to see a tutorial or video example of implementing this to wall off part of a vi in an existing project, including the experience for a non-access user who then inspects and runs code in the LabVIEW project. (Not an answer to your question, just expressing interest in it).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,049 Views)

Just know that if the person trying to get access to this VI is persistent enough, he can crack the password (there is even a tool). Even NI agrees that password protection is not the best way and recommends removing block diagram whenever possible.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,024 Views)

I would probably just build the "core"/propriety code into a Packed Project Library with debugging turned off, which should then not have any block diagrams, but still usable in the executable and the programming environment.  You will need a separate project from your main one to build the PPL.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 7
(1,016 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Even NI agrees that password protection is not the best way and recommends removing block diagram whenever possible.

I would be interested to read that article, can you link that here? 

(939 Views)

Hi Jay,

read this (til the end)...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 7
(930 Views)