LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC UA Demo Not Working cRIO-9064

Solved!
Go to solution

I had a working OPC UA LV 2016 program - upgraded to 2017 - trying to get everything upgraded to match.

Ran into problems with Client on PC not being able to connect to Server on the 9064.

Went back to basics - ran the OPC UA Demo example from NI - same behavior, Client on PC can not access the Server.  

Can someone else with 2017 try the OPC UA Demo.lvproj Data Access Server and Data Access Client VIs with a cRIO?

When on the same machine they work fine (i.e. both run on PC).  Currently using None as the Security Protocol.

I have a SR open, just looking for other eyes and tries. 

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
Message 1 of 15
(4,888 Views)

The error w are recovering when using the wireless to connect is -356653 The Status of the OPC UA Server is uncertain.

We also tried a physical connection to the cRIO and the Error code was then -356612 A communication problem occurred. Ensure that the OPC UA Server that you specify in the Server Endpoint URL is running and the network between the OPC Server and the opc client is connectable.

After that we ran a 2016 created OPCUA Browser Client that I wrote as a tool and were able to connect to the Server and see the tag values and see them updating live. This worked wireless and wired.

We also downloaded the ProSys Client app and were able to connect to the 2017 cRIO server.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Message 2 of 15
(4,856 Views)

I actually did run the demo a while ago for the 17.0.1 toolkit version on a 9035 and 9038 with the server VI running on the cRIO and client VI on my W7 computer and was able to get that to work. I can try to run it on a 906x target tomorrow but as a result of me running the example I filed CAR 654055 because the OPC UA Client Connect.vi would throw error -356610: The certificate is not trusted if you have none chosen as the security option and you don't use a certificate.

You're getting a different error but it might still be worthwhile adding certificates because I was seeing the exact same behavior of it working if client and server were running both on the cRIO or my Windows computer. If you haven't already, I would also update to 17.0.1 because it fixes a separate CAR which would case locally generated certificates for client (server) or server (client) to be invalid which could couple with the above CAR to cause all sorts of nonsense.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 15
(4,826 Views)

Hmm.

Well that would be the issue - we were trying to run with no certs and None set for Security.

Will we have to select an encryption level other than none to force it to use certs or are you saying that using Certs with None selected is still required?

I just downloaded and installed the toolkit and the installer did not indicate that there was any update when it checked.  I will verify the version information.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Message 4 of 15
(4,819 Views)

@RVallieu wrote:

Well that would be the issue - we were trying to run with no certs and None set for Security.

So are you saying that it's working when you use a different security policy? I just want to make sure because I'll add that error to the CAR.

Will we have to select an encryption level other than none to force it to use certs or are you saying that using Certs with None selected is still required?

In the original escalation I wrote that "You are able to connect if you exchange certificates, even if the security policy is set to none.." although I don't remember testing if the server has no trusted certificates and the client was just given one or if the certificates of the server and client even had to match.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 5 of 15
(4,809 Views)

We did not try with certificates and leaving None set or picking another Security type.  That will be the next step.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,748 Views)

Trying certifcates today.

File Access through Explorer does not allow loading the HMI Client cert to the var/local/opcua/certstore so I put it in the lvuser folder hierarchy.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Message 7 of 15
(4,700 Views)

The status of the OPC UA server is uncertain.

This is the error we get.  Server is up and running with no errors indicated.

For Client Connect - Username and Password - is that for the cRIO accounts in general?  I put in the admin account username and password thinking that might work since the Help seemed to indicate that this would be required.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Message 8 of 15
(4,697 Views)

Moved back to using the DEMO and added Certifcates and the same issue is occuring.

We Start the server with no issues listed.

Try to connect from the PC to the cRIO Server and get -356653 with all certs in place.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,695 Views)

The error happens regardless of what Security mode we select.  None or Sign with Basic 

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,687 Views)