LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of LabVIEW users

Does anyone know how many users there are that actually program with LabVIEW? I go to the seminars we have in this area and it is rare to find an actual user, mostly people who are interested in getting information. I also have seen many people who are impressed with the software, buy a copy, and never use it. It seems to be a side job for most users. If you check the web job postings, there are very few jobs that mention it, and if they do, it is usually in a list of other desirable experience. I guess my concern is why should you invest the time and effort to learn and become proficient at LabVIEW, and then not have any job prospects if you should leave your current job. I already have invested a lot of time to learn the software, but I am not su
re I should invest any more of my time in something that is not very widely used. I would be interested in other people�s opinions.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,456 Views)
eh,

LV is a TOOL for engineers and technicians. Most of us are primarily ME's or EE's or some other E. trying to get a job done. The job is not to write LV programs, but to examine or control some system.

This is the beauty of LV, it make us better engineers and technicians, it does not waste our time on trivial stuff like syntax.

This is not to say that some very excellent programmers have not pushed and pushed LV so that it is now a very useful programming tool. But, the primary point of LV is not the progamming itself.

Most employers want someone who can solve real problems first and use software second. (I see the same thinking with CAD software. Learning Pro/E or AutoCAD is all well and good, but what can you DO? I
t is relatively easy to gain proficiency with CAD compared to gaining proficiency as an engineer.)

I don't know your skills set so this is a general comment, not directed at you particularly. If you want to educate your self well, get an applied physics, or mechanical or electrical engineering degree. Then you will know better how the universe works and can usefully apply LabVIEW.

If you are a degreed engineer, by all means LV will be a great skill to learn. It will open doors to some very rewarding and interesting work opportunities. If you are not degreed, consider that a first goal.

Mike
Message 2 of 4
(2,456 Views)
Whether or not it gives you job prospects, it is your asset since the day you decided to put in effort and time in it. Degree? Maybe. Learn from the rich dad!

A very meaningful phrase says:
"No matter how thin a piece of paper is, it's always double-sided". So, it's all depending on how you look at things.

Personal thought, no offence.
Ian F
Since LabVIEW 5.1... 7.1.1... 2009, 2010, 2014
依恩与LabVIEW
LVVILIB.blogspot.com
Message 3 of 4
(2,456 Views)
I�m not surprised that not so many people use LabVIEW but if you are an ME or a EE, it is a skill set to have in your portfolio. You may not use all the time but it�s going to be very rewarding any time you use it. Unlike C/C++ and VB that can be used for all kind of purpose, LabVIEW is mainly used for monitoring and/or controlling purpose, so people get exposed to it in school or at work. Though, one can use it for instrumentation control at home too.
On a personal note, there was not a single mentioning of LabVIEW when I got my current job not even during the interviewing stage. However, I realized very soon that there are lots of opportunities for improvements by applying LabVIEW. I did introduced LabVIEW and everyone is happy with the results. I�m sure there
are lots of companies like this out there.
With your LabVIEW skill you can be rest assure that you will be an element of change for good whereever you find yourself.
Message 4 of 4
(2,456 Views)