LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Device in NI MAX disappears

Hello,

I am using NI max to detect VXI instrument. It is detected and works fine. When device goes offline and I reboot PXI it disappears from network devices. I used Visa Alias on My System value to open visa session in software. 

pawhan11_0-1593156655285.png

As workaround I used Visa Resource name to open session if device is not visible in MAX: 

pawhan11_1-1593156729908.png

Is disappearance of network device from max expected behavior? Shouldn't it be marked as offline?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,488 Views)

What you are describing isn't unreasonable behavior.  It's not there, so why should MAX show it?  (It's still being kept track of so that the next time it sees it, it will assign the appropriate alias to it.)

In Windows, you remove a DVD-RW drive from Windows, it no longer shows it.  But it keeps track of the drive letter so that the next time you insert it, it gets assigned the same drive letter.

Either keep it from going offline, or do what you are doing.  Personally, I shy away from using NI-MAX to configure my hardware for me.  Too many times things that are there go missing or lose their alias.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,450 Views)

The 169.254 range of the IP address indicates the device doesn't have a fixed IP address and it might change every time it restarts. Not surprising that you'd lose a connection if that's the case.

Is there a way you can give it a fixed IP address?  Either set up a DHCP server on the network to hand one out, or changing the device settings to save it in memory?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,446 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

The 169.254 range of the IP address indicates the device doesn't have a fixed IP address and it might change every time it restarts. Not surprising that you'd lose a connection if that's the case.

Is there a way you can give it a fixed IP address?  Either set up a DHCP server on the network to hand one out, or changing the device settings to save it in memory?

To elaborate a bit... yes, 169.254... is what a network device will default to if DHCP is enabled and it can't find a server.  https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html.  If two computers are configured with DHCP and the server isn't present, they can still talk to each other - provided they haven't chosen the same IP address.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,392 Views)